Inova X5 Red Led

MeLLoJeLLo

Newly Enlightened
Hi fellow flashlight lovers!

I already got a couple of flashlights (thanks to you and flashlightreviews.com) :rock: and now I would like to buy a Inova X5 red led. Since the red led version is only using one 123A battery, I would like to know if there is some runtime test that I could check out? So far I only saw runtimes for the 2x 123A battery version (wich is any other X5 LED color except red) :huh2: .

And if someone already got the new X5 with red led... Is there somekind of metal filling inside to compensate for the lack of another battery since it got the same length than a regular white led 2x123A battery? :huh:

Thanks!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I can't answer your runtime question.

The Infra Red X5 uses one 123 battery also.

There is a spacer in the body toward the head of the light that takes up the extra space. The negative contact has a spring with 1/4" to 1/2" of movement. The negative contact is in the spacer because the battery goes in negative toward the head of the light.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I would have bought a red X5 a long time ago if they made it the proper size. I don't like lights that are larger than they need to be with wasted space.

They should have made it a two cell light, but just put a step down circuit in it. Would make a really nice, long running light.

Oracle

Newly Enlightened
MeLLoJeLLo said:
Hi fellow flashlight lovers!

I already got a couple of flashlights (thanks to you and flashlightreviews.com) :rock: and now I would like to buy a Inova X5 red led. Since the red led version is only using one 123A battery, I would like to know if there is some runtime test that I could check out?

In theory, they should have the same run time. The 2x123A batteries are in series to get past the forward voltage drop of the LEDs. Red LEDs have a lower voltage drop required so one battery provides a high enough voltage.

The current should be the same for red and other colours. A single battery supplying 350mA will last just as long as a pair of batteries supplying 350mA at double the voltage.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can buy a white or blue version and then MOD it with 5 leds of what ever colour you want, put a driver in and drive it with 2xcr123 :)

not sure if the newer models will be easy to take apart

MeLLoJeLLo

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all guys for your answers. Looks like I'll go with a Gerber Trio Red LED wich use much commun AA batteries and have a proper length versus the battery tube... :ohgeez: (even if it have 50% less output)