switch for Freelight

mikep

Enlightened
http://photos.yahoo.com/pavasm in the subfolder 'flashlight'

I beveled the edge of the kydex that engages the button so that it is depressed as you slide it forward. I'm not sure if there will be detrimental wear eventually from the kydex rubbing on the rubber surface of the button. Looks okay so far.

InTheDark

Enlightened
Very nice. You wouldn't happen to have any extras that you're willing to part with, would you?
grin.gif
Since I haven't started working on mine, I'm using a one of those clothespins to keep it on. Works good, and useful to clip onto things, but looks kinda funny.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it. Where is kydex available? And is it difficult to mold? Thanks for any replies.

mikep

Enlightened
I took a piece of kydex, 3/8" X 1" (.090 thick stock), and molded it around the edge of the Freelight, near the on/off button. It can slide forward to hold the momentary button on. It sort of looks like a pirate ear ring on the side of the light. Seems to be working fine, I have a (really crappy quality) picture if someone cares to host & post it.(email me)

InTheDark

Enlightened
I'm actually trying to do the same thing with a piece of sheet metal, but I like you're idea better. Did you have to bend up the front edge to provide a lead-in for the switch button? I'd really like to see it.

machspass

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, that's a great idea!
cool.gif

I was thinking of a spring clamp type design for mine, but it would have to somewhat large for the jaws to open wide enough. Plus most clamps don't have smooth inner jaws, so they will dig into the freelight's rubber finish. I like your idea or Inthedark's sheet metal idea much better. I'll give it a try.
grin.gif

STC

Newly Enlightened
I use a spring clip from a nametag badge with one side flattened out so it does not mar the Freelight. It is attached to the lanyard. Wish the clip was of better quality. I like your Kydex better
grin.gif

mikep

Enlightened
I got the kydex from www.texasknife.com I think they have some kydex molding instructions on their site. I basically stuck it on a pie plate in my toaster oven until it was flexible, then burned my fingers holding it in place against the light (I just wasn't happy with the feel of molding it with gloves on
smile.gif
)