MAG LED 3 Watt Upgrade for PT Predator and Tec 40?

Beaver_2

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I saw Maglite 3 watt upgrade bulbs at Walmart tonight. I was wondering if I could get the 2D one for my Princeton Tec Predator and how much brighter it is then the oringal Princeton Tec Predator bulb. I was also wondering if I could put the 4D one into my Princeton Tec 40. And how much is the brightness of it in the Tec 40 compared to the KPR103 bulb for it? Can I use Ni-Mh batteries with Mag LEDs too? Thanks a lot for your help. -Beaver II

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you will really have some fun heat problems :)
i read on some review that the thing will warm up to quite a high temp,maybe around 35C or more.

Beaver_2 said:
Hi, I saw Maglite 3 watt upgrade bulbs at Walmart tonight. I was wondering if I could get the 2D one for my Princeton Tec Predator and how much brighter it is then the oringal Princeton Tec Predator bulb. I was also wondering if I could put the 4D one into my Princeton Tec 40. And how much is the brightness of it in the Tec 40 compared to the KPR103 bulb for it? Can I use Ni-Mh batteries with Mag LEDs too? Thanks a lot for your help. -Beaver II

How much was it?

Beaver_2

Newly Enlightened
It was $18.84 I think. It might have been $18.99. But it was $18 with some amount of cents. Anyway, so the 2D 3 watt bulb won't work in my Predator? What if I used standard Alkaline batteries? Thanks for your help, -Beaver II

STEVENT6

Enlightened
I bought the 4 cell one on sight a few days ago. I tried it in other PR based lights and it didn't fit just as LEDninja said it's much fatter. I also thought about the Tec 40 and/or the Impact XL. But remembered what others said about the Impact XL being dim due to heat issues. It would really be a bargain if it fit other PR based lights.

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
I tried the 3xaaa Sears Endurable LED bulb in a Tec 40, very white and bright. I haven't left it on long, because it does get a bit warm.

Beaver_2

Newly Enlightened
riversedge said:
I tried the 3xaaa Sears Endurable LED bulb in a Tec 40, very white and bright. I haven't left it on long, because it does get a bit warm.
How bright is it compared to the KPR103 bulb for the Tec 40?
Thanks, -Beaver 2

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
Beaver, if thats the bulb that came with it, it's noticeably brighter, although that could just be the whiteness talkin'

Nell

Enlightened
I would imagine it would run really hot. The Sears unit was set up for three cells and the PT is for four cells. Could shorten life of the bulb severly.

Beaver_2 said:
How bright is it compared to the KPR103 bulb for the Tec 40?
Thanks, -Beaver 2

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
Nell said:
I would imagine it would run really hot. The Sears unit was set up for three cells and the PT is for four cells. Could shorten life of the bulb severly.
It does get hot to the touch, but because of the possibility of burning up the LED, I took it out.

As an afterthought, could you take the bulb from a 4xaa Craftsman(which from my understanding has reverse polarity from the 3xaaa version) and simply reverse the batteries in the Tec-40?

Last edited:

Nell

Enlightened
Not familiar with that bulb. You mean the center of the bulb is '-" and the case is '+'? Can you install the batteries backwards and still maintain contact? Just babbeling. Not familiar with that bulb set up.

riversedge said:
It does get hot to the touch, but because of the possibility of burning up the LED, I took it out.

As an afterthought, could you take the bulb from a 4xaa Craftsman(which from my understanding has reverse polarity from the 3xaaa version) and simply reverse the batteries in the Tec-40?

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
Nell said:
Not familiar with that bulb. You mean the center of the bulb is '-" and the case is '+'? Can you install the batteries backwards and still maintain contact? Just babbeling. Not familiar with that bulb set up.
Sorry to take so long to reply. The answer to both questions is yes.