Want a spotlight

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
I have a coleman million candlepower handheld spotlight and i have to say it blows any of my other lights away. Obviously

But the light is not a quality light. A friend has i think a Thor but it's way to big.

So what do you guys suggest?

mdocod

Flashaholic
the answer depends on a few things...
1. how much are you willing to spend?
2. what shape? pistol grip, flashlight tube shaped, or a suitcase style handle-over design.
3. instant-on incan or HID (HID has some great advantages, generally brighter options available, longer run times/more efficiant, nice white light. but incan reaches full brightness in miliseconds as apposed to most HID setups requiring several seconds to reach full brightness)

I'll make a suggestion though... Maxabeam. $$$ ehe.

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
I only paid 15 dollars for the light so got what i paid for. I want something handheld without being to big. I hear the hid's are alot of bucks.

mdocod

Flashaholic
yea- HIDs are pricey- but they are brighter, and significantly more efficiant than incandecent...

The "Amondotech HID" is shaped like your friends thor- only smaller- it's managable in size- but still kinda bulky- cost is ~$140 or so I think now... It only uses~40 watts of consumption and makes more light than a big thor that uses near 130W of power.

HID lights are better for doing real work imo- when you need a lot of light for a long time- like doing search and rescue- or illuminating an entire work area at night... Incandecents are better if you want to just have somethign bright to play with for a few moments at a time here and there.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hid rules! I love the mod I made for about $90 bucks, it has leds, CCFL and HID, and is not too big, look at my thread in this forum, the stock incan. version is very good too.

HTH
AlexGT