L4 with limited throw still usefull outdoors?

pkennethv

Newly Enlightened
Is the l4 still usable outdoors with such limited throw? I plan to be using it on my walks outside with some ambiant light around. Or would something like the L6 or U2 be better for that?

thanks

Robban

Enlightened
If you're just walking around it's not like you're going so fast that you need to know what's coming 200meters ahead. Also, if you already have some ambient light around... :)

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's sort of a misnomer that the L2 and L4 have "no throw"; they still put light downrange. They still outthrow cluster lights and other "flood" type lights. You should still be able to light up streetsigns a few blocks away. The difference is that since it's a flood, or "wall of light" as it's often called, you don't get the pierced darkness effect that a more throwy light gives.

That said, the L2 and L4 are definitely outthrown by many other lights, especially Luxeon III based or TIR optic using ones, or by LuxVs with bigger reflectors (L5, L6, U2). I personally find that while lights with massive throw are fun to play with, for general use, including walking around the neighborhood in the dark, a good flood (or at least plenty of sidespill) is more useful. An L4 would be just fine for this purpose.

One thing though, I hope you're powering it with 17670/Pila 168S/600S lithium ion rechargables. Using it for nightly walks on primaries will burn a hole in your wallet.

If you don't already own the L4, but are contemplating it, I'd go with an L2 instead (needs 14670 sized lithium ions for rechargables). The low mode is enough 95% of the time, and you've got a massive wall of light on high just a button push away. Runtime on low mode is looooooooong.

pkennethv

Newly Enlightened
Planterz said:
If you don't already own the L4, but are contemplating it, I'd go with an L2 instead (needs 14670 sized lithium ions for rechargables). The low mode is enough 95% of the time, and you've got a massive wall of light on high just a button push away. Runtime on low mode is looooooooong.

I did cosiderder the L2 but the run time (regulation) for high was what put me off. I also carry an A2 so i would't really mind only 1 stage for my L4. But thanks for the thought

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i really don't like flood lights for anything long distance...

i'd look into the KL1 head or the E(1 or 2)L (both are the same thing)...

you can use a F04 beam shaper to give you that nice flood for walking... but yet at any time you can quickly pop the F04 off the head and you get nice throw!... (sort of best of both worlds)...

you can use rechargeables with the KL1 head too which is really nice and cheap... two rcr123's (yes 8.4v) will give you almost 2 hours of perfect regulation...

its fairly cheap too... and you can get a two stage switch for it in the future from the shoppe

VWTim

Enlightened
It depends where's you're walking. When I take the dogs out at night I have to walk around potholes and puddles, so a bit more flood is nice. I just got a chance to try out a L4 and an E1L. While both have their merits, I really like the L4, even better with a 2 stage tailcap. The E1L for my purposes is already coverd with my SL Lux Jr.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 is perfect for your intended purpose, IMO. It will light a sidewalk and the adjacent area in a nice swath. Coverage from your feet and flood out to 20m no problem.

Also a great light for inside the house. Completely lights most rooms wall to wall and floor to ceiling from the doorway.

If you need to really reach out to 50m and beyond, not a good choice.

A great light and nice small size, too.

Mark

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 would be excellent for your purposes IMHO.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 is extremely useful outdoors. It's the perfect night trekking hand light, however, its rather limited runtime is a big no-go for those guys exploring truly wild places. You'll need LONG runtimes and decent brightness to adventure yourself anywhere out side of your suburban environment.

Get a S7 Stenlight.

M I K

Enlightened
The fiscally dysfunctional State of Kommiefornia
Planterz said:

The L2 has a rather bright low beam at 15 Lumens, and it tends to drain the batts down rather soon to where the high beam won't even come on. And, unlike the L4, the L2 has a twist switch, which is a pain in the a$$ to keep adjusted in the dark for the momentary feature of both beams. I would vote the L4 for what you want. If you want a low beam feature I would try the popular after market switch.

grnamin

Enlightened
I love my modded KL4 and I'm very happy with it. Good combination of spot and flood. Matter of fact, I do take it on nighttime walks. :) I took the converter board of a BOG 3w drop-in module, transplanted it into the KL4 and added a Luxeon III TX0H. Good runtime. I'm hoping to secure a new gen KL1 so that I can extra the driver from it and put it into a KL4 along with another Lux III.

Luna

Enlightened
pkennethv said:
I did cosiderder the L2 but the run time (regulation) for high was what put me off. I also carry an A2 so i would't really mind only 1 stage for my L4. But thanks for the thought

As we have discussed before, even the new flreviews is less than most see by a large margin. It has been attributed to the lack of airflow causing thermal protection. I posted a link to a chart that proves this point even.

THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE!!! even your hand will provide enough heat flow to prevent this

PS, with the liion, low is lower (more like 5-7lumens)

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last year, while I was walking with my family back to our car after the city Christmas parade, I remember shining my L4 across a 4 lane street that has a middle turn lane and curb parking (basically, the equivalent of 7 lanes) and thinking, "man, this thing really throws pretty good!" I don't see how anybody can go wrong or be unhappy with the L4.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I brought my Nuwai ALX-253L out into the woods walking earlier tonight- I have spoke of it in another thread mentioning that I got a pretty poor tint and a slight donut on it... The Nuwai I speak of- is also a bit towards the floody end of things- the L4 would be even more floody- but these 2 lights are in a similar category of beam shape and output.... The Nuwai was perfect for pathlighting and pointing around into the woods- illuminating a wide splotch of terrain and trees out 50-75 feet is no problem. Based on my experience with a similar light- I would highly recomend an L4 or any other floody type luxV for these perposes. This light will probably become part of my regular carry- and will definetally go with me camping/backpacking.

warpdrive

Enlightened
The only time the L4 *might not* be good is if you were walking through dense forests/bushes with lots of low hanging branches...the L4 would light up TOO much of the periphery which might reflect too much light back into your eyes. But ya, otherwise, the L4 is pretty good for outdoor use.

The only issue is that whether you want something THAT bright for just walking around if the terrain isn't particularly challenging. You would also want to use rechargeables to keep from burning through the batteries

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 is MUCH smaller then the L2. The L4 really is a pocket rocket, and is probably the best 5W lux light around. If you really want the low mode and longer runtime, get the L4 tailcap modded for the best of both worlds.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Well, I had an L4, and unlike most everyone in this thread, I feel the L4 is rather poor outdoors. I like much, much more the A2 for this role, both in terms of the beam characteristics and the far more realistic color of the incandecent beam.

Now, indoors, or as an EDC (specially with one Rechargable CR123 cell in the 1xcell body), and a two-level switch, it is very hard to beat ;)

Will

Allnew2me

Enlightened
I had posted a while ago about a good walking light and the L4 was one that many agreed upon. The other one, which I did end up buying was the Inova X5. It has close to 5 hour runtime and is a great flood light. At about shoulder height it gives a nice 6' flood in front of you. I would love an L4, but for now this one is pretty nice and it is only $30.