quick u2 question

Bonez

Newly Enlightened
First off, I DO NOT WANT THIS TO TURN INTO A SUREFIRE FLAMEWAR. I seriously want to know if anyone has ever experienced this problem before, as I have never read about one that is like this
(and if i have missed it, please point me to the right thread :stupid: )

Today I anxiously the postman to deliver my new u2. Opening the package I saw some slight dust under the lens, but nothing I was not expecting and it was not a problem for me. Crossing my fingers I turned it on, wincing in expectation of a horrible tint. Lo and behold, it was actually close to white, with a slight blue tint that did not bother me at all. I patted myself on the back for lucking out on the Lux lottery (at least in my book, without a light meter its bright enough and tinted acceptably for me) and proceded to go into the room where we keep our furnace in the basement, as it is a decent sized room with no windows and can be made pitch black. Playing with the light (as we all do when we get a new light) for 5 minutes, I was astounded when the light output dropped by almost 50% and the selector ring would only access levels 1-2 and what looked like 3-4 or 4-5. On the lowest level, it appeared that half the lux5 die had gone dark. I have since tried letting the light sit with and without batteries to see if it would reset itself and at least 10 new sets of surefire and varta batteries to see if that was the problem. Also, when you turn the light on now with a fresh set of batteries, it starts out at the 50% brightness that I observed, and then slowly dims down to buish tinted 25% (approx). Minding that I do not want to start a flamewar, has anyone else experienced this problem that I am having?? :popcorn:

ront

Newly Enlightened
I have not had this problem with mine. Best answer I can give you is to give Surefire a call.

Ron

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope you didn't put two R123 cells in it, that would overdrive the LUX5 and might damage the LED.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Someone else on the forums said they had that exact same problem... try and work through the place you bought it from before you go through SF.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Bonez said:
Playing with the light (as we all do when we get a new light) for 5 minutes, I was astounded when the light output dropped by almost 50% and the selector ring would only access levels 1-2 and what looked like 3-4 or 4-5. On the lowest level, it appeared that half the lux5 die had gone dark.
I was going to say "try fresh batts", but that sounds like the die on the Lux died on you. It's weird that it would work fine for a bit and then die like that. Definitely call SF and get an RMA.

Now, if you put 2 rechargeable li-ions in there... :poof: ...and that's not covered by the warranty. :awman:

In any case, contact SF, and get a bucket of :popcorn: for the long wait. :)

KingSmono

Enlightened
jch79 said:
try and work through the place you bought it from before you go through SF.

This gets my vote as well! If R123s aren't the culprit, then it sounds like they sent you a faulty light... see if they'll swap it back out, and let THEM deal with SF Customer Service. Good luck.

-Allen

Bonez

Newly Enlightened
No, i definatley did not use R123's, I dont have the balls to try that with an expensive flashlight. I bought it from Spyder Tactical Supply and Steven just emailed me back and is shipping me a new one while i am getting mine back to him. All i can say is wow and what great service. He also said that he would test the new one to see that it worked for more than 10 minutes!! :rock: Thanks for all the suggestions and we'll see if there is a round 2 when the next one comes on fri...................

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Sounds like the "magic smoke" was released from the die...had that (same description of the LED color) happen to me on a Princeton Tec Attitude (which PT promptly replaced).

ront

Newly Enlightened
I must say that Spyder Tactical Supply sounds like a place I may like to do some business with. It sounds like they know how to take care of the customer.
Good news Bonez!!

Ron

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
ront said:
I must say that Spyder Tactical Supply sounds like a place I may like to do some business with. It sounds like they know how to take care of the customer.
Good news Bonez!!

Ron

They are GOOD at making CPF'rs happy (EDIT: and that's not always the easiest thing to do)... that's all I have to say. Thanks Steven!

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steven is an awesome dealer, no doubt about that, he helped me out with my U2. When you get a working U2, you will love the light, its such a handy tool and will bring smiles to you days after you get it. I know what its like turning it on for the first time, then putting it on high and being happy. Well, good luck on your new one!!

Luna

Enlightened
Yep, a die that had no heat transfer to the sink. The colors are pretty while they last though :)

As for RCR123, with the mass of the head I wouldn't worry about burning up the emitter. I have had considerable burn time at 1.25amp in the U2 so far without an issue except for the lost of the levels. (stock is over 800ma as is)