People with HDS lights and LionCubs...

Which light do you find more practical for everyday carry?

• The HDS EDC

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • The LionCub

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Both are equally useful

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which light do you find more useful as an EDC? I'm awaiting my U60XRGT and have carried the LionCub since it came out. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are who own both.

Jeff

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
I own the lion cub and find I really like the side clicky!Both are great lights,just comes down to convience.

TorchMan

Enlightened
I prefer the LionCub over the HDS, but not by much. It's the side switch, auto lockout and UI1 that do it for me over the HDS.

The HDS is a feature packed light. I've been thinking of keeping it in the car, but the thought of them stealing my precious scares me out of it. With the strobe, it'd be a great road side light.

My HDS U60 is one of the older style tail caps, but it does stand on end, though with a slight lean.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lioncub is direct driven so you get constantly diminishing light from the 1st moment you turn it on. It's also designed to use rechargeable li-ions so the first few minutes the light overdriven like hell until the battery's voltage drops to a "safe" level. Unfortunately, this results in shortening the usable life of the led considerably.

The HDS is current regulated so you get constant light for the duration of the battery's life with whatever level you choose. The led is also protected from being over-driven, over-heating so you will get almost the rated lifespan of the led. It can also detect the type of battery you put in so you can safely use whatever is convenient for you at the time.

It seems more thought was put into the cub's looks than it's design and the HDS is the exact opposite. It's designed with practicality in mind without any consideration to its looks so it depends on your preferences and priorities.

barnabe

Newly Enlightened
xpitxbullx said:
Can the stock HDS stand on its end?

Jeff

No, It cannot. You have to purchase an extra CR123 battery case (new style) to get this "feature"...

nethiker

Enlightened
I carry my HDS U60 every day since they first came out. This was one of my first lights since joining CPF. When I got my Cub, It never made the switch to EDC.

This is Partly because it doesn't have a clip, or maybe it did and I just didn't like the style.:shrug: I like to use the light on the bill of my cap. I did like the lanyard attached to the cub, but it bothered me that the attach point on the cub was so thin. Seems like it would have eventually worn through the way I'm hard on my EDC's. This may contribute to my impression that the Cub is more delicate and deserving of more care. Since my EDC is a backup duty light for fire/rescue, reliability(not driven too hard) and the use of Primaries were important considerations as well.

I love my Cub for what it is, a sexy little hot rod. It outshines my U60 and I love the ability to fit it with the lionhead for unmatched throw in my collection. I like the side button switch and the smooth scrolling UI.

While I like my HDS for EDC, I think the ultimate is probobly the McLuxPD. Won't know for sure until I get one and give it a go. Perhaps there's a Ti PD in my future. Yea, with a beaver holster from artofthehide...my dreams don't get better than that.:naughty:

<<edit>> My HDS stands fine on its tail.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone quoted it, I ditched the previous comments as they were a bit harsh.

Billson, which do you actually find as a better fit for edc?

I had an HDS but sold it awhile ago. It is a good light, especially with an arc4 clip but I now EDC a bare aluminum lioncub. There would be no contest if the cub had a great clip, but it doesn't so if your hds comes with an Arc4 clip, it will be a better edc for clip carry. I found both HDS clips to be very poor so, in stock form, they both end up in a pocket and the lioncub is about half the weight and less bulky (imagine that :)) so it is easier to carry.

I think that V2 Georges80 interface is about the best single button interface I've used. It only has features that I use and they are very easy to get to. The side switch, which I believe to be a serendipitous design decision aimed at making building the light easier and cheaper, is excellent and makes the light much easier to use in awkward situations. I would like the lioncub better if it was regulated like the HDS (not like the current limiters of the chameleon-not regulation as far as I'm concerned) but li-ion discharge is very flat so I really don't notice dimming in practice , I just charge it up once a week or so. The bezel opening of the cub had to be decided after a drinking binge because it is so restrictive. I took a dremel to mine and it puts out alot more light and throws further.

The hds is a better light , hands down! But , I'd EDC a lioncub over an HDS any day.

Last edited:

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xochi,

For the record, I don't have a lioncub but have had the chance to handle one. Like you said yourself, HDS is a better light hands down so why wouldn't anyone want something better and cheaper at that. Even my friend who owns that cub has already shelved his cub in favor of the chameleon and the only reason he didn't buy the HDS was because it looked ugly.

I carry lights for emergencies. I don't care about how nice or how ugly it looks because I want it to be as reliable as possible so your last statement answers your own question. I carry a light that has the best design, not the best looks.

If I wanted a dress light, I have the McLux III-T for that. I'm not saying the McLux is not reliable but I couldn't forgive myself if I dropped it or lost it. I can do that with the EDC without much worries because I know that I can always buy a replacement.

I'm a practical person so the cub is more expensive when you compare the price vs feature cost. I've heard of the argument that the led of the cub is easily replaceable in the event of failure which is almost certain the way it is abused in this light but isn't this defeating the very purpose of buying a led light. No need to replace blown bulbs. BTW, replacing an incan bulb is way easier than replacing a luxeon. No soldering skills required so why bother with a led if this is the case. Why not just go with an incan? It's brighter to boot.

Like I said, it's a matter of preference and priorities. To each his own.

Last edited:

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm getting my HDS Thursday. I hope it comes with the newer style tailcap.

So far it looks like the HDS EDC is pulling ahead in the poll.

Jeff

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my U60XRGT today. It took a few minutes to get used to the UI but I have it down now. The tail cap is very flat and stands sturdy on its rear.

I haven't made up my mind as to which I like better (LionCub or HDS) . I need to play with the HDS for a while. My LionCub meters a noticable higher difference in ouput with the swap over to UX1K. I went with the higher vF in the LC for less direct drive harm to the life of the LED. I notice there is an upgrade for the LC for regulated output now.

Well...time to play.

Jeff

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
xpitxbullx said:
I notice there is an upgrade for the LC for regulated output now.

Well...time to play.

Jeff

If you are talking about the Chammie driver, calling it regulated is a big stretch. As far as I know all it is is current limited plus you loose lockout capability and that very low , low. When I saw something about it's availability I was immediately interested but considering the price (IIRC 50 dollars) and the drawbacks , I cooled off pretty quick.

Having sold my U60XR several months ago , I recently took advantage of the sale on B42's and picked up 2 of them. Mine came with the new recessed switch with the longer gnurled section. A great improvement. These lights were modded with uwoj's and then those swapped for swoh's. I like the swohs best. After fooling with the B42's I broke down and purchased a U60. The first one I received really sucked nuts. Bad ano, old switch, awful tint (should have gone straight from the reel into the garbage, actually scratch that, it shouldn't have left lumileds) but I exchanged it and got an excellent one with great ano, new switch and I don't even remember the tint since it now has a SWOH lux1. It also has been upgraded with a modified McR-20 flector and Morelite was kind enough to mill 2 slots in the head tube for 9x1mm trits (they look fantastic!).

Well, now I have to change my answer to this poll!
While I still much prefer the weight and ergonomics of the lioncub, I now prefer my modified HDS U60 hands down. With the SWOH lux1, the U60 eats the cub for breakfast in brightness (even with a fresh off the charger 18650!) and there isn't any "Well, I sorta think the HDS is a bit brighter...", It's obviously brighter! Also keep in mind that this isn't due to the peephole of a bezel the lioncub came with, I opened mine up. I also prefer the true power regulation of the HDS and it's flat output. It's also nice to know that while some may say I'm cooking my led with current (I don't think so as I think the difference in thermal properties is based on the itty bitty star heatsink of the lux1 versus the much larger lux3 heatsink but I'm using the beefy hds heatsink) at least I know that the thermal protection (and great thermal egress) won't fry it. With the modifications I've made and the great starting platform of the revised U60 I've got the most perfect edc I've had so far.

If everything goes smoothly with the Arc4 clips that Christoph has been cool enough to get going I will soon have an almost perfect EDC (for me at least) :grin2:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS 60

And mine will also tailstand, but slightly angled, and not really stable.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually it can. At least mine do. My two older units aren't perfect at it they tilt a bit. But they do it. The new one stands on it's tail perfectly. The current design has the lights tailstanding perfectly.
Yaesumofo
barnabe said:
No, It cannot. You have to purchase an extra CR123 battery case (new style) to get this "feature"...