Y or V bin code [Lux V]

Braxus

Newly Enlightened
Hey all. Kind of a n00b when it comes to LED lighting as I'm just starting to get into it. So please don't hurt me too much for my dumb questions.:grin2:

I recently purchased two Luxeon V white stars. The bin on the wrapper says XY0R but what's printed on the back of the stars looks like to be XV0RW. I was wondering perhaps:

1. The sticker on the package is wrong.
-or-
2. The dot matrix printing on the aluminum heatsink often makes Y look like a V.

In any case, what type of tint can I expect from a Y0 and a V0 bin? Also, which bin is generally closest to true white?

There are also some other alphanumeric codes on the back of the aluminum heatsink but don't think anyone knows what the mean at the moment?

-----------
Information I think I have correct:

X - 192-249.6 lumens
Y0/V0 - ??? white tint
R - 5.43-5.91 Vf
W - letter code for white LED

I already got the resistors to drive the LEDs close to 6.84v/700mA as that's what I saw from the Lux V spec sheet. Will it still be safe to drive them at that spec or will I eventually end up frying the emitter down the line since they're a lower spec'd R bin?

gessner17

Enlightened
I'd love to see a pic of the back of that star!! That would be an almost impossible BIN code to find. I haven't ever seen R binned Lux V's, let alone X binned with R VF bin, where did you get these? Your assumptions are correct.
YO will be towards the blue end of the spectrum and VO will be a warmer tint.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
That luxeons sucks. High lumens and ultra low Vf makes it undesirable. Better send it to me right away so I can "dispose" of it properly. :D

Anyways, V adn Y do look similar on the star. Take a pic.

Amonra

Enlightened
that's two pieces of gold not one.

Do not be greedy now you know you only need one you can give me the other.

Braxus

Newly Enlightened
Here it is... Now is it a Y or V? Again the mailing slip and wrapper says it's a XY0R but the print on the back of the star looks like XV0R

original.aspx

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Braxus! Welcome to CPF!

welcome2.gif

We are having one of our usual CPF bayarea lunch get-togethers this Friday in Campbell. Since you are soooo close, and a n00b CPF'r, why don't you come out and bring the LED so we can have a look and maybe figure it out together.

Here's the link

Tony

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's one way of telling if it's a good LED. Hook it up to a Q3R DD type mod. It's a fast and easy one to do. Then just compare it side by side with a couple of other comparable lights/LEDs. Is it possible that it's counterfeit? Where did you get it?

Doh! Wrong forward voltage rating for that quickie mod. :thinking:

Last edited:

Braxus

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the two Lux Vs from future electronics which I think is a legit shop as they were linked on the lumileds/luxeon site. Seemed like the cheapest place I was able to buy them from. Also bought two warm white units as I've heard about them but never seen them in person before. Those are NN1J bins. May use them to light up a display case I bought from Ikea if they produce enough light.

CroMAGnet: As for lunch, unfortunately I won't be available this Friday. Though perhaps sometime in the future. :) Would be fun to pickup some tips from you guys.

Doing some research into constant voltage/current drivers but so far I've only grasped the concept of using a resistor and a potentiometer to dim the emitter. Forgot almost everything I learned in high school physics so I'm getting a quick refresher boot camp from what I can find on google and now here. haha.

Last edited:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say that is a "Y", but either way it is still an X-Bin with a Vf of R, one hell of a find.

I will be happy to authenticate them, shouldn't take more than a few years. :grin2: :grin2: :grin2:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! FS is the place to get real ones!

That's the superjackpot luxeon lottery you hit!

Just fyi, I sold a custom light, very limited to only 10 made plus 10 last year and the bin was XXOT IIRC. The light sold a few months ago for well over $600! I'm not sure what part of that had to do with the Xbin but I'm sure a lot, since it generated a lot of interest.

On another note, I heard that Wayne from our local Sandwich Shoppe said that he is selling a few Xbin HD45 IIRC on his site (available as he makes them) which he sold for a bit less because they were, according to him, under achievers. Which means they were close to the Wbin 5w which he is also building.

Please correct me hear if I missed something guys.

BTW We have lunches quite a bit so I'll try to let you know in PM when we have another :)

Welcome to CPF! Hope you stay a while.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the wrapper says 'Y' it's probably that. I can't tell from the lettering on mine...

Top Left: WY0S / Top Right: SV1J / Bottom: VY0T

:shrug:
-DF

Luna

Enlightened
CroMAGnet said:
according to him, under achievers. Which means they were close to the Wbin 5w which he is also building..

I don't know if that is what it means. I took Waynes post as saying the Wbins were just that good (I can believe it with some that PF has been selling) Maybe he will elaborate.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow.....XY0R! Man.....I thought that XX0T was unobtainium..... this is unreal!

And you got TWO of them! So what are you going to do with them?

WP