Mag 85 contact problems

savumaki

Enlightened
I use 2300 NiMh bats (Battery Stn) in my 85 with a modamag holder; after a recharge (individually) I have problems with getting it to light.
I double check the contact points between the bats (and the top plates) and with some fiddling I get the right voltage on the meter.
It's a toss up whether it will work when installed as I have to give it some thumps to get it to light.

I think the positive terminal on some bats is not high enough to contact the battery above it (or the top plate) to cause the lost contact. Short of thinning the dividers (virtually impossible) I can't think of a fix.

Suggestions anyone?

Karl

savumaki

Enlightened
Well, it would appear that I am the only one that has experienced this problem.
I measured the pos. button height on several batteries and they range from .030 to .060. Since the divider plates are .032 I can see where the trouble can occur.

Would someone measure the heights (the buttons) of some of their aa rechargeables and tell me what they range at.
tks

BTW does anyone know if battery tubes with a thin wall are available for aa?

Karl

Last edited:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same problem as you sometimes, but not with battery station brand batteries. I'm also lost as to what to do. I try to scrub the contacts sometimes. Maybe some progold or something like that might help?

savumaki

Enlightened
Grox said:
I have the same problem as you sometimes, but not with battery station brand batteries. I'm also lost as to what to do. I try to scrub the contacts sometimes. Maybe some progold or something like that might help?

I've done the progold but I believe the problem to be loss of contact entirely somewhere in the circuit; with 14 contact points its not a real big surprise!

I'm looking for some sort of thin shell plastic tubes to hold the batteries and remove the two divider disks.

Karl