LED Practicality

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
Sometimes I believe people use A to C, then D, then back to B instead of a straight line from point A to B with LED's.

Before I go on any further, I would like to make it clear that I in NO WAY am trying to bash LED. I believe LED is great, and that it will power the next generation of small flashlights that will soon make incandescents obsolete.

Back to the topic, some of you may wonder "jeez, what got his panties in a bunch?" Well, it was after reading that Lexus LED headlight thread. You gotta be kidding me. LED's for tail lights, sure, but when you need 3,000 lumens of throw? Just get a 35 watt D2S HID lamp that produces 3,200 lumens @ 4,200 kelvin temp rather than trying to cram 25, 5 watt luxeons per headlight.

Another example would be lanterns. Rather than using the proven and true compact flourescent lantern which has power, output, and is cheap, people opt for those 12 LED lanterns which are weak and pricey ($40 vs my $15 coleman compact flourescent lantern.)

I'm all about practicality here. Sure I own LED flashlights, but they fit on my keychain. When there is an application that calls for muscle, i send babe ruth (HID) to the plate, not a rookie(LED).

Don't hand a job meant for a man to little junior.

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good points you said, BETTER POINTS ACMarina said:grin2:

If I need a reliable light, really tuff and lasts "forever" I prefer ever a Led-light.

For more brightness a multiple one. Perhaps it's interresting for you, the Barbolight U-15 beats a 10W HID easy. Now and yet. In the future, the sun get Led competition:grin2:

Best regards

______
Tom

greenLED

Flashaholic
I see your point and agree. Just wait until Lumileds releases their 10W Luxes (coming soon to a light near you!). :popcorn:

David_Campen

Enlightened
Another example would be lanterns. Rather than using the proven and true compact flourescent lantern which has power, output, and is cheap, people opt for those 12 LED lanterns which are weak and pricey ($40 vs my $15 coleman compact flourescent lantern.)
Yeah, if you don't mind the weight of the fluorescent. My LED lantern with 4 5mm LEDs weighs 220 grams including batteries.

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
I think what Xzn is really trying to say is that you always need more than one light. Let's all look on the bright side of the donut hole and bring our wives & girlfriends over to view this thread and say, "See, that's why I have to have another light!"

mdocod

Flashaholic
I just bought my first luxV light (a Nuwai 253L).... I turned it on- and thought, well darn- is that as much light as we are getting out of one of the highest powered LEDs available in a flashlight? It's a great light that serves a perpose- but after being tickled with the power of a 35W HID, or a solid 200 lumen P91 that fits in a pocket, I am definetally feeling a void in LEDs. Even after yanking the resistor from my 100LED china showerhead, resoldering and cranking some fresh NIMH in it- I'm thinking- hmmm- pretty cool- but darn, seems like this technology needs some more time in the oven.... don't get me wrong- the LED lights are wonderfull in many ways- I'd estimate that my new Nuwai is somewhere in the ballpark of 60-90 lumens, and runs for over 2 hours in regulation, making it an efficiant alternative to incan. I'm excited to see what the 10W+ LED arena has waiting for us...

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xzn: you make a point I've recently come to realize. I love LED lights and appreciate the 12+ lights I have very much though, they have their limitations. My brightest light, a single Lux III LED powered by one driver (550mA LED, 950mA current draw) or two drivers, (920mA LED, 2A current draw) is still out thrown by the standard 2D maglite. :mecry: (Target is a mango tree with lots of ambient light at a distance of 150ft.)

My point is that the practical output of a single LED flashlight at a high efficiency (which is the biggest reason to use an LED in the first place) is limited to under about two watts. That is easily outdone by an incandescent light.

Multiple LED flashlights which output 100-300 lumens are exotic and expensive compared to incandescents which output the same ammount of light. There are also usually over-driven decreasing their efficiency to that of a good xenon bulb. The only advantage is bulb life.

Above 300 lumens, LED flashlights really cannot compete.

Besides efficiency and total light output, I must admit that incandescent's warm white (broad spectrum) light is much better at rendering natural colours such as brown,yellow, green ect,(colours you find outdoors,) than LED lights . There is also a noticable lack of glare off of the waxy surfaces of leaves.

Since joining in 2002, I've lived in the LED section of this forum. Recently,(this year) my eyes have slowly begun opening to the advantages of incandescents. By the end of the year, I'm guranteed to own a ROP and probably another rechargeable light.

Believe me, I still love my LED lights and will continue buying them as time and technology goes by.

Oh, I dream to afford an HID light some day...

Last edited:

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a 3,200 lumen HID spotlight for $130. Look in the HID forum for the AmondoTech Illuminator.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, practically all my lights are LEDs these days. I still have a few incandescent Mags around, but most will be converted soon. For throw, I do not find much more need than a good LED light can give, if I do I will break out the spotlight from behind the seat of my truck.

Another benefit of the LED is durability. Bulbs in incandescent lights are too fragile compared to LEDs. Yes you can kill LEDs but it is harder comparitively than regular bulbs.

In general carry lights, I definitly think the benefits of LED lights outweight any negatives and any throw monster incandescents with lousy runtimes.

Like you I am into practicality, and give me a light that throws light along time over a bit shorter distances and is much more durable, over a light that throws a long ways for a short time and has a relatively fragile component. I can generally always move closer if the light does not get there ;).

In other words, I will take Ty Cobb (old timer) or Cal Ripken JR. (modern age) on my team over Ruth any day . Simple personal preferences for what floats out boats :).

Last edited: