First light suggestions?

Bright World

Newly Enlightened
More personal anwers are at the bottom.
1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I only want to pay $1-10.
____I can spend $15-30.
___X_I could spend $40-60.
____I am willing to spend $80-$120.
____I have no limit!

2) Format:

___X_I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a portable spotlight.

3) Length:

____I don't care.
____1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
____2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
___x_4-6 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

____I don't care.
___x_I prefer a long narrow light.
____I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

___x_I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
__x__I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
__x__I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
__x__I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
____360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
_x___Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

____I don't care.
____I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
__x__I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
___x_I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
____I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
____I want a rotating head switch.
____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

__x__I don't care.
____I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
__x__Waterproof – how deep: __5___________
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
____Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

I would more or less like a Inova X5 or a SF g2 nitrolon. However, I don't want to have to buy cr123A batteries for a $1.25 a piece that don't even recharge! So anything that is as close to these 2 models, but doesn't have to eat my money... Anyway, thanks guys!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
At this current time, I might wait until the new Maglight 2 or 3 AA lights are out at Walmart or Target or an online place. BZut I would wait until the reviews are out. Dorcy makes some lights what would fit your bill and so does Streamlight. But personally I am really interested in seeing what the new AA Minimags do, they could be perfect for your needs.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
I'm really new at this stuff - but I sure like my Fenix L2T. I believe it fulfills about all of your criteria. It's a 2-stage light featuring a "low" setting (10 lumens @ 22 hours) and a "high" setting (55 lumens @ 3 hours).

Bought it at Eliteled (www.eliteled.com) whom I highly recommend for good price and speedy delivery.

There are also many threads about the L2T here on CPF, just do a search.

I know that with all the experienced people on this forum, you will find exactly what you're looking for.

Have fun!

carrot

Flashaholic
The Fenix L2T would be a good choice for you, available at Fenix-store.com for a nice price. Only thing that does not meet your requirements about it is a lack of momentary, but otherwise, it would perfectly suit your needs. I'd also look into the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA, but it may be a little fat for your tastes.

Somy Nex

Enlightened

Bright World

Newly Enlightened
Alright, cool guys. Now for the sad and shallow part, where I admit what I want it for, to make sure that the consensus on the fenix is correct: The ONLY thing I dislike about surefire/inova x5 is that the lithium batteries are not RECHARGEABLE ones. Yes, cost is an issue, but I am a paranoid bombshelter mentality kinda person, and that would mean everytime I used the light I would KNOW that the super expensive, order only online batteries were being used, and thus I would be hesitant to use them. I just want regular batteries or even fancy rechargable (alright, not superfancy, 10 rules on how to use them batteries) batteries that I can use with a guilt free conscious. Now, the embarrasing part: I will use it for wandering around woods, in my room, attackers, etc. But one of the most important points is: I HAVE to have a light like they used in the x-files. Not the big, bulky units, not the brands, but the really sweet beam of light that shot through the air. Yes, shallow though it is, that is what it should do: dazzle an assailant, and awe an onlooker. Thanks,

Bright World

carrot

Flashaholic
Okay, if you want a beam like that... sorry, but Surefire/Inova is still your best bet. A tight beam like the Maxabeam (the X-Files light) could be had with a Surefire E1L/E2L or an Inova T series (T4 is rechargeable). There are very few non-lithium lights that can match that kind of output, but I'm told the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon has a tight beam, which may be what you're looking for.

The Fenix lights are respectably good lights, but they are about half as bright (at least the L1* lights are; not sure about the L2* ones) as the Surefire and Inova lights.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
it's been a long time since i've watched TV, much less the X-files (haven't watched any TV apart from soccer matches in 10 years), but from what i remember the X-files lights (that they used indoors at any rate) used some sort of TIR lens, which project a light sabre-like beam with darkness all around. if you really want that, then maybe an Inova with the TIROS or one of the SureFires with the TIRs might be the way to go =P

I suppose those are great for creating the felling of claustrophobia and crowded by darkness in TV shows (and i hate them exactly for that reason). now whether these will actually dazzle onlookers/etc, lets say i have my reservations. =P

you might want to check out the Inova T4. it's a bit bigger, but i've heard good things from those who've bought it.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say the Fenix L2T is your best bet. Feed it with NiMH rechargables, and keep some lithiums on the side for Nazicommie invasions.