what should I get first

• Arc AAA-P

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • Fenix L2P

Votes: 17 25.0%

• Total voters

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
I want both an Arc AAA and an L2P but can only afford one right now and I don't know which one to get, I will eventually get both but right now I'm just getting one, which one would be a better choice, I know its apples and oranges but I just want to hear some opinions, my current EDC is my HDS and neither one of these would be a replacement.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Arc and put it on your keychain as a general purpose light or backup light. Feed it a lithium AAA for extended runtime, reduced mass and flatter output.

:twothumbs

cheers

paulr

Flashaholic
I've never been excited by the L2P. I'd get an L1P before getting an L2P. The Arc AAA-P is a separate question. Its purpose is to be a long-running light that you ALWAYS have with you, a more durable and classy answer to a coin cell light. You should certainly have a full-time EDC light but you might decide that a coin light is enough.

carrot

Flashaholic
I would say Arc AAA because you can't put an L2P on your keychain... and nor can you with an HDS. The L2P is more likely a light that would conflict in its usage with your HDS, so you might as well spread out your collection a bit.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got both and no question, the Arc AAA is a lot more useful to me. You really can't "EDC" an L2P. Well, unless you're 450 lbs and 7 1/2 feet tall.

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
agreed with above. Get the arc! i have one P and one standard and love both. to tell you the truth, i can't tell much difference from the P and standard in terms of brightness except for tint(P is yellow-green-blue while standard is more orange-brown-yellow) so if i were you, i would get standard and then get the Fenix after(save more money to get the fenix faster.

cerbie

Enlightened
Do you have a decent light on your keychain? If not, Arc. I'm going to get a Fenix next, but I use my Arc-P (only 'real' flashlight :)) daily--it's bright enough, simple to use with one hand; and small and light enough to not be significant in my pocket, making it convinient to always have. It's also not a coin cell light, which I am generally biased against for reasons of ergonomics and battery replacement.

I have finally gotten to use a L1P, and while I'm certain to buy one at some point, here, there is no way it will get as much use as my Arc.

paulr

Flashaholic
Oh I didn't even notice you already have an HDS. I definitely wouldn't bother with the L2P in that case. You can get a 2AA battery tail for the HDS and have a much better light.

Anyway, yeah, you need a keychain light, either the Arc or a coin light.

If you want a Fenix, get an L1P or L1T.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
arc , the standard by which all key chain lights are held , its not the brightist but it runs a long time , built with the real world in mind, like a shot of good whiskey, its the "first shot"choice of the flashaholic.

Last edited:

AA89GTA

Newly Enlightened
I voted for the Arc AAA-P. I have one and I use it AAALL THE TIME! Personally I don't carry mine on my keychain; I carry it tied onto a carabiner which clips to my beltloop. The light sits in my left back pocket of my jeans, and I never know it's there. This way, I actually always have it with me as long as my jeans are on. People say, "Put in on your keychain so it is always with you"...well, I don't know about you, but I don't walk around the house with my keys in my pocket. I've also read a lot about people carrying the AAA-P around their neck, so that it's always with them...another option I might try in the future. Either way, the Arc should be with you at all times. It's too small not to carry.

I don't own an L2P, so I don't know much about it's durability, but my AAA-P has taken some nasty falls onto tile and concrete. I've picked it up, sure that it would be broken and it has always worked.

This light puts out enough light for everything indoors as well as many outdoor activities. Don't expect it to blow you away in the lumens department because that's not what it's about. Like others have stated, this light is about dependability and long runtime. That's what I like about it. I like knowing that I can grab it off my beltloop, give a quick twist, and in return it will give me light. There's no hoping I didn't break it, there's no hoping the battery isn't dead, there's no hoping it didn't get wet inside.

Well anyway, I'm rambling now, but you get the idea. The Arc is the way to go.

Edited for grammar
--AaronA

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really, get the ARC - simply the most fun I have ever had with a torch. I have an L2P and I'm afraid I've never had a reason to carry it as it is too big for a pocket and not versatile enough to supercede my other EDC ARC+4 (very similar to your HDS). L2P too bright for interior,too dark for exterior and no different levels-and basically not as satisfing as the ARC-AAA.

Good luck with your decision. :popcorn:

My ARC is round my neck as I type...very reassuring!

Synergy

Newly Enlightened
Yet another vote for the Arc... :rock: After reading the list of lights you already have, it seems the one thing you're missing is a quality keychain light that can also be worn around the neck or clipped to a hat brim. Its a very durable and very versatile little light with super long runtimes thats sort of disappears into your pocket and you forget it's there until you need it.

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
I didn't vote for either light as it depends on intended application.

The Arc Premium light is a lot smaller and lighter than the Fenix L2P; so it is more suitable for EDC for example.

Arc beam has a bluish tint, but the Fenix has a (near) perfect white beam. Beam tint may or may not be a problem, but personally, I prefer white over blue tint.

Fenix has more throw than the Arc, so the Fenix may be better suited for use in larger rooms and outdoors. Arc is best used indoors (smaller rooms).

With lithium batteries, the runtime of both lights are about the same (approximately 5 hours +).

The Fenix appears to have better light regulation than the Arc. I like good regulated lights myself.

Good luck!