American Idol winner!!!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The winner of American Idol 2006 (season 5) is Taylor Hicks!!!
I honestly cannot believe he won; I would have figured he'd be out after the first or perhaps the second round of viewer votes; and that Ace Young or Kevin Covais would have prevailed.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The_LED_Museum said:
The winner of American Idol 2006 (season 5) is Taylor Hicks!!!
I honestly cannot believe he won; I would have figured he'd be out after the first or perhaps the second round of viewer votes; and that Ace Young or Kevin Covais would have prevailed.

What??? Ace Young or Kevin Covais prevailing? No way!!!! Kevin may be a charmer, be he's no American Idol. Ace Young did have a couple of good nights, but as was evident tonight (and most others), he's just not that good of a singer. His voice lacks power and control (and quality). I think he made as far as he got purely on his looks. I actually picked Katherine to win, although after last night's performaces, it did look like Taylor would win, especially with his last song. My personal favorite, though, had always been Paris and I await her first album. Mandisa is extraordinary, and I believe, is a step up from the rest, but what I do I know? She got booted early. I really like Elliot, too. He makes feel good when I watch him sing. And how about that "award" they gave to his mom? Was that a touching moment they showed (them driving through the crowds in their home town), or what?

Anyway, tonights show was fantastic. I'm so curious to see what they say on tomorrow's news about how well the show did in the ratings. It had to have broken some records. Back "in the day", the Academy Awards was the show of all shows. Now, it's American Idol!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Is that the dude with gray hair?? He looks like he should sing on long distance commercials. :lolsign:

J/K Congrats to him and the runner up. :goodjob:

mccavazos

Enlightened
My sister's friend who is currently staying with us is a personal friend of taylor's and she knows him from Alabama.

Synergy

Newly Enlightened
Even though I liked the guy (Taylor), and thought he would make it to the final 4, I never thought he would actually win. I was figuring on Chris taking it all.

Congrats to the guy! He's a welcome change from the prevailing sounds of the current mainstream. Wish him the best of luck!

Arkayne

Enlightened
Chris should have won it! I think it was set up for ratings that he got the boot.

I'm ok with Taylor winning though.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
taylor doesnt have a good enough voice IMHO, the winner should have been the bald rocker guy.

-David

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig. Taylor is from Hoover, Alabama. It's a high priced suburb of Birmingham. I thought Chris would be #1 and Taylor #2 or 3.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kat is hot..
I think Chris lost out behind the scenes when he was mirroring the guy he sang with last night, same clothes, same moves, same hair or lack of it.. I am pretty sure everyone who counted in the show seen that coming, to us he was original, to them he was copying his own idol..
Kat is hot.
Taylor got what he deserved, I always felt entertained when he sang.
Kat is hot.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
My predictions and thoughts.

Chris is a front guy for a band, not a solo artist, and will end up as lead singer for someone big, I think.

Kat McPhee is a broadway show singer, as she proved with "Rainbow". She will have a tough time selling individual records. There are lots of gorgeous singers out there with her kind of talent. Anyone heard of Diana Krall? She'll make a career in music, and it won't suprise me to see her in stage shows.

Taylor Hicks is an anomoly. Simon is going to have a TOUGH time promoting him. He is a good singer, but was so successful because he is fun to WATCH, not listen to. His song isn't strong, and doesn't do justice to his voice and talents. I think a debut album covering some of the great Elvis, Joe Cocker, Ray Charles songs would be fun.

Mandisa and Paris are great, just too young still. In my mind Mandisa has the looks, style, and power to be huge, while I think Paris will be a force in the R&B market.

Pickler will get a country contract, and do OK. She could be a breakout singer if she gets some good songs early.

Elliott is talented, but his look is so normal that I think people will have a tough time marketing him.

The rest are pretty much good fish in a great big sea!

Bill

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The band Chris sang with last night is the same band that bitched when he sang the J Cash song that they said he ripped off. He has already been offered lead singer for a band called Fuel but he won't be able to do that until his contract with Idol expires.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Bill said.

McPhee had the best voice IMO, but she was so in love with herself that I was really starting to want her to lose. She's a real narcicist, but I think thats probably true of anyone who gets on stage and hopes to be looked at and admired. I'd still let her give me a foot message. While I watch Pickler eat escargot. But I digress.

There are a million McPhees (hot chicks who can sing) and Chrises out there (did you see that clone from "Live" that he sang with?), but not many Taylors. Taylor won in part because he is unique, and in part because he was more likeable than McPhee. End the end, he just outsang her in the finale.

Elliott looks like a yard gnome and is in need of dental hygiene, but he had a decent voice and was also very likeable. Mrs. Powernoodle liked Mandisa the best. I didn't think any of them should win, to be honest.

I'm surprised to see myself say it, but the Prince performance was far and away the best thing of the evening. That guy is the real deal. Made the Idol contests look like the amateurs they are.

cheers!

Last edited:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not an avid follower of the Idol show, but managed to catch the last 15 mintues or so last night. McPhee had a better voice, but she was rather cliche. Hicks just seemed to have a more "likable" presence.