Airsoft Advice?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am suddenly fascinated by the idea of having an airsoft long gun - probably "spring action". Most of what I see on Ebay looks extremely cheap (gun with flashlight, scope, AND laser for about $40 delivered.) Other options cost as much as a real firearm - $200 - 350.

Is there anything in between?

(The FAQs that i have found all seem to recite the same extremely basic stuff)

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
good eye protection would be a worthwhile investment.

Seriously though, i never saw the thrill in shooting each other with plastic bb's..

theres not any way to see whos dead and whose not..

at least with paint ball.. theres an indicator mark.. i tried that.. didn't get the "adrenaline rush" everyone was talking about.

Anyways.. good luck in your search, if experiance has taught me anything.. you get what you pay for.

Impyboy

Newly Enlightened
hey there, stainless,

I'm not a hardcore airsofter, but i do love them to bits, and i have been playing with them for over 10 years now.

I'm sure if you goto an airsoft store, you can find something in between.
i only play with pistols, so i can't really say how much a long gun will cost.

but they should have them for any sort of budget. really depends on the quality of the gun.

the cheapies, obviously wont last too long, and wont be entirely accurate and may not even be as powerful as you would want.

so, in saying that, the more you pay, the more quality/power/accuracy you will get. Then theres also the options to upgrade parts for more power/accuracy etc.
again, i haven't ventured down this part yet, only because we dont' ahve any airsoft stores in australia. :(

of course, i can go on about other things. but i would recommend a gas powered gun (unless you wanna go for the sniper rifle).
but semi auto is so much cooler than **** and fire.

:)

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for going OT. Would it be possible for me to ship airgun to US? to airsoft but air riffle using lead pellets.
I cant bring in back to Singapore so I m thinking of selling it away. Once again I apologise for going OT cause I do not know where should I post this question

Gimp_Light

Newly Enlightened
You wont be able to get any full auto battery powered rifles for that much but you should be able to get a good spring rifle for around $70.

I dont really play anymore but still have my TM722 and a TWC Desert Eagle.

The DE is for sale for 80 shipped but it would make a horrible main gun. Good for backup/showing off.

carrot

Flashaholic
My advice echos coldsolderjoint's... get some head protection. I too, don't see the thrill of Airsoft over paintball. Paintball seems much more interesting, albeit less "realistic."

nighthawk

Newly Enlightened
I play airsoft on every other weekends. A good eye/face protector is a must, also gloves can safe your fingers too.
If you have a large budget, I'd suggest the Tokyo Marui AEG (Automatic Electric Guns), they are the king of the hill in airsoft world when it comes to automatic rifles/carbines.
Don't bother with the cheapo airsoft guns on Ebay, they are made in China, and they sometime broke before even being used.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK - a little more information...

I live in a cave (socially speaking) great place to play with flashlights.

I am not interested in shooting at anything other than paper targets - just that some of the guns look so fascinating, "I gotta handle at least one."

I assume that for five or ten dollars, I will get junk.
As I do not intend to use it for "competitive play", $200 - $300 seems pointless. I would like to spend maybe $50 - $100 and get something that will be at least reasonably accurate past 50 feet.

I do see "pump action shotguns" for sale. Are they actually operated similar to a real shotgun, or is the action activated by some tiny lever somewhere?
(I posted this last question to an Ebay seller - but have not gotten a response yet.)

TIA

tdurand

Enlightened
What ever you decide, never volunteer to "test out the pain factor" and hold the gun a mere 12" from your leather loafer covered feet and fire. I own a Marui FN P90 and let me tell you, it took a chunk o'leather out of the top of the shoe and felt like a hammer hit.

nighthawk

Newly Enlightened
Jumpmaster said:
Yep...+1 on the TM...I have a TM MP7 and it is FUN!!! I got to play with a real MP7A1 at SHOT and the TM one is VERY close in look and feel.

JM-99

MP7 is so cool.
Is that true that MP7 is a side arm for Stealth Fighter Jet pilots ?

nighthawk

Newly Enlightened
Stainless said:
OK - a little more information...

I live in a cave (socially speaking) great place to play with flashlights.

I am not interested in shooting at anything other than paper targets - just that some of the guns look so fascinating, "I gotta handle at least one."

I assume that for five or ten dollars, I will get junk.
As I do not intend to use it for "competitive play", $200 - $300 seems pointless. I would like to spend maybe $50 - $100 and get something that will be at least reasonably accurate past 50 feet.

I do see "pump action shotguns" for sale. Are they actually operated similar to a real shotgun, or is the action activated by some tiny lever somewhere?
(I posted this last question to an Ebay seller - but have not gotten a response yet.)

TIA

airsoft guns have an effective range no more than 40 feet outdoor. and that also depends on the bullet type you're using.
my TM MP5 SD6 with .20 grams bullet can maintain a high groupings within 1 inch at 30 feet outdoor. past that distance, it'll be harder to keep that grouping.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
nighthawk said:
MP7 is so cool.
Is that true that MP7 is a side arm for Stealth Fighter Jet pilots ?

I'm not sure...I think it would be a bit large for that application.

The round it uses (the real one) was designed specifically to defeat body armor...If I recall correcltly...I need to check the catalog again. I wish HK would make a "civilian" model...I doubt that will happen. :) I guess I will have to be happy with my USP. :D

JM-99

mdvb747

Newly Enlightened
Hello.
Me and my brother own http://www.sacairsoft.com
We're in Sacramento, and we started playing airsoft about 7 years ago. So much has changed. It used to be Tokyo Marui, KSC or Westren Arms, or junk. It has come so far. I haven't played much in the last two or three years, but recently I bought a Classic Army M15A4, and I can honestly say this is one of the most solid guns ever built. The internals have come so very far that they are at very least at par with TM. Anyway, my point is, you can buy a M14A4 for ~$345 and you will be VERY satisfied. The gun is metal, with an excellent finish,within grams of the weight of the M4, and is almost the same to the touch of a real M4. Which segways me to the real alternative as I see it, Under The Gun. I can't speak for all UTG guns but the UTG MP5 is amazing. The second it was released I bought one. I believe i paid $90 shipped for it. I've owned three TM MP5s and the UTG is almost a perfect replica (of a replica:)). It comes with 2 hi-cap mags, a full stock, a sliding stock, battery (1100mah) and charger. I would hazard to call it a gateway gun, the G2 of airsoft. If you're looking for target shooting, I'd recommend a air pellet gun, or .22cal bb gun. If you're looking to sometime play airsoft with a group of people, then the UTG is the perfect gun. I hope this helps you a bit, please enjoy and if you do buy a gun please abide by all the laws in your state and county. I know you will.

Cheers

Razor

Newly Enlightened
One of the most informative sites I've come across as far as helping you decide on a gun is www.shortyusa.com. Click on a category of gun across the top, and it will give you huge selections. The real party piece of the site is that every gun has tons of "user reviews" if you keep scrolling down past each gun's info, and once in a while you'll come across one accompanied by a cheesy promotional video.

A big appeal is that with the full size rifles, whether full AEG or otherwise, some of your flashlights may be able to mount onto its rails!

As to repeating what many others have already stated, wear eye protection at all times. Those things can ricochette all over the place, and I've had at least one that bounced back and hit my shooting goggles.