Surefire E2L and R123s

mccavazos

Enlightened
Can the E2L, which I believe is an E2e body, clickie and KL1, correct? accept 2 R123s? I remember reading in another thread that the KL1 is good up to 16v? Maybe I am mistaken, any input would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Chris

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
9v is what i've heard... so yes I run two rcr123's (8.4v) in my E2L and get almost 2 hours of regulation... with a 2x123 li-ion stick (forget the name) I get 1 hour... with 1 rcr123 i get 30min... voltage is the key to making it run a long time ;)

Kelvino

Newly Enlightened
The KL1 (3V-9V) runs with no problem on 1x and 2 RCR123. Runtime is the only difference between both setups,
output of course also differ from each other, but that's not really noticeable.
The KL4 (3V-6V) accepts either 1x RCR123 or better 1x 17670 for increased runtime. Output is less than on two standard CR123,
but again it's not an obvious reduction in brightness. I prefer unprotected rechargeables with my KL4,
for slightly increased runtime and output compared to those protected ones.

Kelvino

Newly Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
For the KL1 with one cell, protected or unprotected?
Same goes for the KL1, but with unprotected batteries you need to keep an eye on both LED heads
before they suck the RCR123 dry (voltage lower than 2.5V) and kill it forever.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah.... i use protected cells... but with the KL1 it will be regulating fine one min... and about 30mins into the run it'll just die... the protection switch is activated... so you don't get any tail at all... the output just drops...

my wife is using the E1L in her purse and for safety reasons I use a regular cr123 because the runtime is much more... i check the voltage on it every month or so to make sure its faithful... :)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
RiZA said:
Same goes for the KL1, but with unprotected batteries you need to keep an eye on both LED heads
before they suck the RCR123 dry (voltage lower than 2.5V) and kill it forever.

jar3ds said:
yeah.... i use protected cells... but with the KL1 it will be regulating fine one min... and about 30mins into the run it'll just die... the protection switch is activated... so you don't get any tail at all... the output just drops...

my wife is using the E1L in her purse and for safety reasons I use a regular cr123 because the runtime is much more... i check the voltage on it every month or so to make sure its faithful...

Hmmm, whats the runtime and regulation like with the unprotected cells? Does it dim enough to notice so you know you have to change batts?

Kelvino

Newly Enlightened
Speaking for the KL1 it dims vastly and flickers a lot. That's at around 2.65V.
Don't remember how it is with the KL4 (changing heads to often). Will charge
the battery and observe the light. Runtime I've never tested because I use
the light only for short time, less than 5 minutes constantly on.