Mr. Rogers

Eric_M

Enlightened
If any of you grew up watching Mr. Rogers you'll appreciate this.

In 1969 the US Senate had a hearing on funding the newly developed Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The proposed endowment was $20 million, but President Nixon wanted it cut in half because of the spending going on in the Vietnam War. This is a video clip of the exchange between Mr. Rogers and Senator Pastore, head of the hearing. Senator Pastore starts out very abrasive and by the time Mr. Rogers is done talking, Senator Pastore's inner child has heard Mr. Rogers and agreed with him.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sd7TcVH670#

Last edited:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! That was a good one. Mr. Rogers was in a class by himself. Seems today we don't have an alternative to Power Rangers or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or whatever kids have today. I'd hate to think Sponge Bob Square Pants is a role model.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Thanks for that "historical link" for sure. Part of the problem in today's world (without beating the proverbial old dead horse)...is the lack or decreasing amount of family/personal values being taught.

What's in the media today (and what our children are being taught/exposed to) is indeed something to be VERY CONCERNED about!!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I grew up watching Mr. Roger's Neighbourhood, Sesame Street, and The Electric Company; and I believe I learned some good core values from those programs. These days, children have to watch Barney the Purple Toliet Dinosaur, The Teleboobies, and Spongejim Roundpants ;) which, in my opinion, are far less conducive to model behaviour than what was on thirty years ago.

Just my two cents mind you; individual opinions may vary.