My Millermods L1P doesn't seem any brighter than my std L1P

maxhawk

Newly Enlightened
I received my Millermods L1P and side by side with my standard L1P, I can't tell that it's any brighter. The hot spot is the same size, as well as the side spill. However my std L1P is a nice white, while the MM L1P seems very green. Perhaps that's why I can't tell a luminance difference.

I did measure the current at the tailcap and got 1.1A on the standard vs. 1.88A on the MM, so it's obvious the mod is working.

Can I swap the two emitters? Is it easier to unscrew the assembly or desolder the board? I couldn't get it to unscrew in the 10 seconds I tried with a set of needle nosed pliers.

TIA.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you testing them indoors on a white wall or outside under real world conditions?
Have you tried viewing both units through a very dark grey filter? It may help make any output differences between the 2 lights stand out a bit more.

Chao

Enlightened
Mine is perfect, the lux number I read at 1 m is around 1200 lux with one 2500 mAh AA rechargeable cell, very bright, and tine is white.

Chao

maxhawk

Newly Enlightened
LumenHound said:
Are you testing them indoors on a white wall or outside under real world conditions?
Have you tried viewing both units through a very dark grey filter? It may help make any output differences between the 2 lights stand out a bit more.

I used a white wall to compare the color temperature. To test brightness I carried both around the house at night with the lights off and couldn't tell a big difference. Maybe I'm expecting too much from the mod?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My MM L1P is noticably stronger than my stock Fenix L1P by a good margin,
Have a U bin heading my way to push the output even higher so maybe you can pick up a U bin at B/S/T and have Eric mod it for you.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest using ceiling bounce to check the relative brightness. Go into a dark room and bounce both lights one at a time off the ceiling. Look at the items around you and any text nearby to judge the relative brightness (are things easier to see?, text easier to read?, color recognition better?).

Flash007

Enlightened
The Millermod L1P is unpotted (you have access to the driver and to the emitter, simply unscrewing it). Replacing the emitter is a very easy operation, if you have a minimum of knowledge in soldering and for applying thermal coumpound.

If you don't have good tinted or binned emitter, it's apparently the case here, swap the bad emitter with a SXOH Lux 1w, or a UWOJ LuxIII, Photonfanatic sells them.

I own Millermod L1P and Millermod L2P.
I've putted a UWOJ LuxIII in my MM L2P, it's amazing how bright it is !
In my MM L1P, I left the standard emitter, because the tint is good, and the brightness too.

Later, when SWOH LuxI will be available, I will put one in my MM L1P, for the warm tint and the little extra brightness.

maxhawk

Newly Enlightened
Flash007 said:
The Millermod L1P is unpotted (you have access to the driver and to the emitter, simply unscrewing it). Replacing the emitter is a very easy operation, if you have a minimum of knowledge in soldering and for applying thermal coumpound.

I tried the modded L1P and the whole fixture unscrewed easily. The stock L1P wouldn't budge.

Guess I'll try to get one of these U-bin emitters to replace this one. I've got the soldering down pat since I do 0402 stuff at work. :grin2: