Problem with LCD monitor

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wiped the screen with a damp sponge last week and this tumor? started growing in the corner. Has anyone seen this happen before? Can I return it under warrenty? Am I SOL?
picture123456789012003small2eg.jpg

The horizontal lines at the bottom started first, before the black spot started.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
sunspot said:
I wiped the screen with a damp sponge...

What was it damp with?

This won't be covered under warranty because it is obvious physical damage. Same as if you'd dropped it. (I am not saying you did...just that they'll treat it the same way...)

JM-99

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
A sponge could be soaked with radioactive cat pee and it shouldn't cause that. Your "tumor" is from internal layers of the screen being damaged. I suppose if your sponge was runny with some kind of nasty solvent it could have dripped down to the edge of the screen and started dissolving it, but anything that strong you'd probably needs gloves for.

If you only gave it a gentle wipe it's defective, but I doubt there's any chance they'd let you return it. Worth trying, though. This type of damage only normally happens when a screen is dropped or hit with something. You see this on laptops that get whacked sometimes.

Last edited:

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sponge was damp with a weak clorox mix. ABTOMAT, funny you should mention cat pee. That is what I was cleaning up from. Darn thing is less then 6 months old. A real nice Samsung 930b 19". It was never hit or droped.
:awman:

Corrosion

Newly Enlightened
So... your cat peed on it, and you can't think of anyway it might have had a sudden bit of excessive pressure on the screen? Say, where a cat might have stepped/sat/jumped on it?
:wtf:

First, shoot the cat.
Then, keep the money you are now saving on litter and cat food and get a new laptop.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Corrosion. Nice name in lieu of this thread title :lolsign: . It's not a laptop and the spot did not appear until about 2 weeks after wipeing the pee off the screen.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to say if the bleach did that. But I'd try for a replacement, or at least see what they say. Was your sponge soaked in bleach?

Bad cat. Keep him out of the room. I can't stand cat pee. The smell makes me want to throw up.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, the only thing I've ever read that should be used on monitors is mild soapy water with only a damp cloth. No bleach.

I don't mean to sound negative, but it is highly unlikely that this will be covered under warranty. Even though you didn't hit it, it "looks" like impact damage and it will be difficult to convince the techs that evaluate it that it didn't get hit.

JM-99

Arkayne

Enlightened
BTW, that's an unusually concentric black spot for not being impact damage. Nobody was throwing tennis balls around? :)

I doubt that will be replaced under warranty but it never hurts to try. You just have to swallow the shipping costs to the manufacturer.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sponge only had a very small amount of bleach, used for odor control. No tennis balls throwing in the house or anything else for that matter. Only my wife and I in the house.
The ring did not start as a concentric circle. It was a small smudge that was flat at the top. It grew into what you see in the photo and is getting bigger by the day. In ten days it grew from about 5mm to the present 50mm. :rant:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
sure looks like it took a hit to me.
no cracks though?
cat pee worked its way between the layers of the lcd?
or the bleachwater did the same?
i see plenty of busted lcd's on laptops and they all have cracks.i would expect a hit that does that kind of damage to have a big spiderweb crack centered on the black spot.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
No Hits, No cracks. I'm fairly sure it's moisture in the screen. Two days after turning on the central A/C, the blob is shrinking. We have high humidity in the south and the A/C lowers the RH. I wish I had a meter to measure it. New photo to follow.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Can you wrap it in a baggie with some dessicant crystals for awhile? That might soak up a little bit of moisture without having to introduce heat to the process.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
it seems liquid-ish.

it may be the bleach. EVEN mild solution can cause harm to this kind of fragile things...

but then... the 2 weeks after seems funny enough... damn, i got an idea in mind but just can't seem to type that out in words... dang my mind.

Latest posts