so I picked up a Dorcy Super 1 Watt 1 cr123a

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
Nice light. Now I just need a holster for it.... or a clip to keep it in my pocket, and I'll holster my l1p..

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Ousanas said:
Nice light. Now I just need a holster for it.... or a clip to keep it in my pocket, and I'll holster my l1p..

Just picked up two of the "1-Cell Nylon Holster" here:

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/flashlight_holsters.htm

Only $4.99, low shipping and fast delivery. Fits my Dorcy Super 1W very nicely.

I further pimped my light with a couple of GID "O" rings available from forum member "greenled".

I like the Dorcy as well as lights costing much more. It's a great buy!

Have fun!

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
yup, pulled one of the GID orings off of my l1p to put on it, got a couple more in a bag in my laptop bag I just gotta get out, maybe I"ll order one of those holsters, thanks.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one tonight too, except i had the light for about 15 minutes and i took the led out. Im going to put in a one watt blue lux inside. Its going to be my first lux swap mod and if it works out i might do some other colors as well. If you take off the head, just pull lightly on the battery spring and entire guts come out, it is THE easiest light to take the guts out, so i figured it would be a nice "first mod" light. The stock led that was in there was a RXOHW. That means nothing to me, so i hooked it up to a AA battery box with leads and now i have a direct driven area light lux style.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
Ordered that holster, and 10 batteries from LH... also put GID o-rings in all the grooves on the body of the light, may take them off, may just leave them there to take off for something else sometime if I need them. :)

Cabo

Banned
bought one @ Target on impulse. Output on a regular CR123 was rather disappointing so I dropped in a rechargeable 3.6v for grins (4.2v hot of the grill). This puppy screams now. What a difference a little extra voltage can make. Tint is way better too. Yeah, it warms up like a nuclear reactor and I have to wear oven mitts to hold it but this thing rocks!

InfidelCastro

Banned
Cabo said:
bought one @ Target on impulse. Output on a regular CR123 was rather disappointing so I dropped in a rechargeable 3.6v for grins (4.2v hot of the grill). This puppy screams now. What a difference a little extra voltage can make. Tint is way better too. Yeah, it warms up like a nuclear reactor and I have to wear oven mitts to hold it but this thing rocks!

I was wondering how well this will hold up on rechargeables. How much brighter would you say it is now?

The latest one here that I just bought is incredibly white. Even whiter than the last two. I can't believe it myself. It makes my L2T look like a blue Lux :D

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a previous thread about rechargables and this light. IIRC no one had any major problems. I've been using protected 3.6v rechargables in mine and all goes well until the battery shuts down. The battery then reads 0 on a voltmeter, but after a minute on the charger it reads 3+ volts again !?! Not sure what is going on there, so for now I'm just using regular primary cells. I'm more afraid of damaging the cells [which came with my 2005 CPF Special [Peak Rainier]] than I am of damaging the light. I sure does run great with the extra voltage though!

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED_Thrift said:
There is a previous thread about rechargables and this light. IIRC no one had any major problems. I've been using protected 3.6v rechargables in mine and all goes well until the battery shuts down. The battery then reads 0 on a voltmeter, but after a minute on the charger it reads 3+ volts again !?! Not sure what is going on there, so for now I'm just using regular primary cells. I'm more afraid of damaging the cells [which came with my 2005 CPF Special [Peak Rainier]] than I am of damaging the light. I sure does run great with the extra voltage though!

The protected circuit cuts the battery off to protect it. The voltmeter will read 0 volts once the protection is tripped. It's reset by the charger or by applying voltage to the battery (4.2 volts I think?) It's doing it's job. If it were not protected it would continue to dim until the battery was destroyed. No need to fear damaging the cell. It's doing it's job admirably.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks carbine15! I do like using rechargeables, and I love the Dorcy's output with them, very bright and white. Much shorter runtime with the rechargeables than I thought it would though.

The Dorch Super 1 Watt is a great light AND a great value.

PipesterLite

Newly Enlightened
I have had one of these lites for about two weeks. In fact, picked up one for a friend today. I have been carrying it in my right front pocket. I don't remember anything unusual, but, while walking through a store, I felt heat on my thigh. :mad: Sure enough, the light was turned on. I turned it off. It was quite warm to the touch. I guess I will have to be a little more carefull and keep it window down in the pocket and make sure I don't acidentially activate it.

One day last week, I went to turn it on, and nothing happened. I opened it up and found some black crud on the + connection in the window end of the tube, and some on the bottom of the battery. I cleaned it up and it was OK.

Oh, BTW, the left front pocket had a HDS U42.:)

The Dorcy seems to be quite a value for the cost, imho, but we shall see if it comes on again, and how well the finish holds up. I wish it had some kind of clip on it.