Redesign of Mag Reflectors?

thunderlight

Enlightened
I wonder if Mag has recently made slight changes to the symmetry of their reflectors. It seems to me [based on use of MagNum Star bulbs and the White Star Bulbs] that there are fewer artifacts and they are more symmetric than in previous models. For example, as you focus with the newer reflectors, the ring surrounding the black hole is symmetric, unlike earlier versions. Moreover, the other general ring like artifacts remaining, once focused down, are also symmetric.

I don't know when this occurred but it precedes the "Krypton" labeling on the new packages. Presumably, this is true of these as well. I'd be curious as to whether anybody else noticed this. I first noticed this in a red 3D Mag that I purchased in the recent Fry's clearance.

If true, this change preceded the introduction of the Mag Leds, although it might be related. It presents a substantial improvement in the incandescent beam, and minor improvement in the Led beam. This is such a substantial improvement in the quality of the beam, that it is not likely to be due to random variation in reflector design encountered on this particular model.

You may be able to notice this pattern by looking at the reflector straight on WITH THE LIGHT OFF. It seems to me that the patterns in the reflector are more symmetric than in earlier Mag reflectors. However, this is not as obvious as the distinctly different and improved incandescent beam pattern.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't say for sure that there have been changes to the reflector, or if it is just luck of the draw, but I noticed the same thing comparing a 2 year old Mag to one that was about 6-7 years old. The newer one does indeed appear to focus nicer with less artifacts, both with incandescent bulbs and with the new LED modules.

Latest posts