First LED, a maglite conversion (4D)

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
I have been very interested in LEDs lately (thank you Telephony). I dont have a job (yet), so I cant afford to buy any good LED lights. So, I made my own LED conversion for my maglite. My first one was a 5000 mcd, 10 mm, red LED. Its normal operation is 1.82 volts, 20 mA, and 660 nm. Max values are 2.4 V and 50 mA. After messing around with different resistors, this being my first time EVER with electronics, I selected a 47 ohm resistor. Then, I made an orange one. 10 mm, 12,000 mcd, 2.6V max, 50 mA continuous, 100 mA max. It too got a 47 ohm resistor.

Next came the testing. I had dad bring home his little black electronics doodad. We measured 4 new D-Cells. The red one was pulling 70 mA, and the orange was pulling 75. I guess that is why they are about equal in brightness. I am currently doing a battery life test on the orange. It has been going for 88 hours straight so far without getting any less bright. It has not been turned off yet.

I have to say I REALLY like these 10 mm bulbs. To make the thing, I heated up an old, cheap, crappy bulb in a flame, and pulled out the bulb section, and left the metal. I then put in my resistor hooked to the 10 mm LED, and hotglued it on with a couple dabs of glue. Then put a little dab of solder on the bottom for a contact. If I had a digital camera, I would post pictures, but alas, I don't. You will just have to take my word that these look professional. They look JUST like a normal bulb, but with no filimant.

Does anybody know if anybody makes a variety of colors and brightnesses in 10 mm? I really prefer these because they fit on the bulb perfectly. I would like to have blue, white, and yellow 10 mm LEDs that are at least 5000 mcd. Unfortunatly, I cant/wont order from online even if I could find a source. If anybody knows a source, and is about to order from there anyway, maybe I could tack my order on there? Doubt it though since none of you know me, and I just joined. Oh well, maybe I will just have to wait a while.

Any Questions for me, either about me or my conversion?

Spud
(aka Chris Coleman)

Edit time, my spaces for new paragraphs dont show up, guess I will double space the paragraphs then.

Spud, is the online ordering a "had a bad experience" issue, or a "don't have a credit card" issue?
wink.gif

Reason I ask, one of the best sources for 5mm white LEDs is a guy in Michigan. Not a dealer, just a guy. He only charges a $1 to mail them and they are only $1.75 each. He'll take money orders.
www.whiteleds.net

I don't know of too many options in 10mm. But, one LED isn't really bright enough for me anyway.
grin.gif

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
The no ordering off the net is because I am 16. Although I SHOULD be getting some money soon. Parents paying me at the end of the month, around $200 for work. Plus, I just got a job that pays weekly, so starting a week from Thursday, I should have a steady income. I love the 10 mm LEDs, but I may have to buy a couple cheap lites so that I can permanantly modify them.

Quick question. If you put 2 or 3 bulbs in series that each require 2 volts, are you going to have to give the cluster 2 volts with more amperage, or are you going to have to give it 6 volts? I am thinking it is only going to have to take 2 because otherwise those people who make the 20 LED lights would have to have like 40 volts. Just want to make sure though.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question. If you put 2 or 3 bulbs in series that each require 2 volts, are you going to have to give the cluster 2 volts with more amperage, or are you going to have to give it 6 volts?

In series, you would add up the volts- the current remains the same as a single LED. In paralell however, you add up the current but the voltage stays the same- this is what most of us who build large clusters do. Or else, as you rightly point out, we would need a high voltage power supply- loads of batteries or a fiddly and maybe less efficient step-up converter. Paralell is easiest for battery driven applications.

grin.gif

OK, good.
wink.gif

So when you find a need for the little white 5mm LEDs, you can get them from www.WhiteLEDs.net .

FYI, most mail order places will take your order and hold it until they receive your money order. So you can order online, just have to get a money order.
wink.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Does anyone know how the "profanity filter" listed at www.whiteleds.net works? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It monitors the subtitles that exist for the hearing impaired. If a word in the subtitles is on the offensive list then I think it mutes the sound for a few moments.

Saw a flyer for this or a similar device at Walmart last year. They used a few movies for examples and listed how many offensive words there were and how many the device successfully filtered. It's not perfect but seems to work fairly well. Seems like a good idea if you've got kids. Personally, I'm appalled by how many "family" movies contain profanity. The Nutty Professor and Dr. Doolittle movies are prime examples. Both could be excellent family movies if it weren't for the language.

Sorry for going so far off topic.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Here is an update on my led bulb. I put it in my maglite, and left it on at 11 pm on
6-21. That means, as of 11 pm tonight, 6-30, it will have been running for 216 hours straight. It has not seemed to have gotten much/any dimmer. Not sure HOW long it is going to last, but it cant be TOO much longer. Of course, I could be wrong, and I sure hope I am, but I have a feeling it will fall off soon. I would test the amperage draw and the voltage of the batteries, but I think dad took the testing thingy (technical term
smile.gif
) back to the shop. Oh well, I will just update this topic again when the thing DOES finally go out.

Spud