mini Maglite conversion kit

metalhed

Enlightened
The hotspot isn't as bright, but I think it puts out as much light overall. It isn't going to throw light very far, as the LEDs the kit uses are 5mm (I think) and the kit includes a replacement 'reflector' that isn't...really.

But if you need a nice close quarters, indoor light that runs a lo-o-o-ong time, it fits the bill. Plus it should never burn out under normal use.

BTW, you can find these in Target and other stores...no reason to have to pay shipping on one of these.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
It is much more useful than the stock bulb on runtime/output and be whitish even when batteries are weak instead of the brown you get with stock bulb, though it is a basic upgrade that is most useful for close up use. The led drop-in itself can be found at Wallmart in US for less than $5.

Nite Ize Minimag LED module: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/niteize_mag3led.htm
Minimag http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglight_minimag.htm

If you ever want to try some mods then http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=83903 is a good start with the TL-3 hotwire being one of the brightest options.

Last edited:

Niteowl

Enlightened
archangel080 said:
Hey, I thought I liked flashlights... but seems like its impossible to lovem more than most of the people in this forum... anyways, I was wondering pumping my minimag a little bit......
....and if the led upgrade is as bright as the stock incandescent bulb?

A lot of the folks here are a bit "touched", you might say. Some have been absolutly "wacked". I myself am quite normal, really. :naughty:

As for the LED Upgrade, it'll pump up your MM in usability and runtime. It's well worth the price to bring an old MM out of the dusty drawers of obsolescence.

And it still works great in the "candle mode" too, better IMO.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you live in the US, you should be able to find this kit at your local Target store for a little less than what you would eventually end up paying (with shiipping) on scamBay. And it was stocked at some Fry's stores for $7.49 for a while. You can also get the module by itself without the tailcap switch for $4.92 (or something like that) at Wal*Mart

The overall light output is about the same as you would get from the incandescent bulb, but the output is a flood rather than a spot. As such, you'll lose the throw but the tint of the output will be nice and white. You'll also lose the focusing ability (which may be good or bad depending upon your perspective) as the LED module does not focus to a beam (the kit includes the LED module and a replacement reflector.) The upside to this is that you need only turn the light on to get output instead of having to focus it every time you turn it on. Overall, it's a cheap and easy upgrade that breathes new life into a MiniMag that you might otherwise have discarded or put up on a shelf.

archangel080 said:
and if the led upgrade is as bright as the stock incandescent bulb?

Last edited:

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
IMHO this is about the best option, cost/benefit-wise, for the mini-mag. Of course, I'm still waiting for the led mini-mags to show up. Combine that with the Nite-Ize IQ switch...

I'd stay away from the combo-pack switch, though - the reliability doesn't seem to be there, and really, the Nite-Ize doesn't focus - keep the stock tailcap and the unit stays waterproof.

If you really want a tail-switch, the Terralux unit is nicer, and $5. They're very senstive when on - ounces of pressure for momentary-mode - but seem low-profile enough not to turn on accidentally in the pocket.

Jon