Your passion with hobbies

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each of us have different levels that we go at our hobbies. For many, it is balanced by other expenses and what not. I'm sure many of us would enjoy owning a Porsche, Ferrari...yet sometimes, it's not a reasonable choice to go all out.

One interest group, these followers feel that if it's worth doing, you go all out, no expense spared in achieveing the end result. They criticize those who take a different approach and if it's different from this style, they look down on you.

It makes me wonder how some grow up with this level of intolerance? Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...it's all a matter of perspective.

Did it ever occur that the people that do not go all out say deragatory things about those of us that do? "Wow...that's a waste of money...what do you need that for?" etc. Some people that choose not to go "all out" in their respective hobbies are just as intolerant of people that do.

The thing that bothers me is if I spend the money to do something right and some other person doesn't, they look down on me for "wasting" money, etc.

JM-99

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
This particular group are car nuts. They feel there is no interpretation to other ways of customizing a car. It's eitehr you do it this way or it's a POS and a rolling joke on the roads.

I stated to them, it's to ones taste and within ones budget/means. I pretty much got blasted for that.

I hope that these same folk apply this passion towards their other life adventures.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep...I've witnessed the same attitude towards me for wanting to restore my Mustang to stock condition instead of putting in bags and modifying the living crap out of it with aftermarket junk.

It goes both ways. Both sides do it.

JM-99

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure that there are guys out there with cherry '55 T-Birds who would call anyone who would spend $175 on a flashlight a total nutcase...

It's a big world.

dragoman

Enlightened
I just smile, shrug, and say "Hey, everyone's got something they are into, right?"

Most of the guys I deal with have their own thing, be it cars, movies, knives, guns, etc... that they are fanatical about.

All it takes is altering their perspective a little bit, and if they aren't a total jerk, they will see your point of view.

if not, then they are jerks and not much use talking to them.

dragomn

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't understood the transference...because one person or group hold such views that theirs has more credibility-importance- or is right/wrong over another's. I've felt while some things may not be to my particular taste, it is not my interest to put my views on another.

Thanks for the input. :)

Latest posts