Experience with SF E2D

larryinpa

Newly Enlightened
I want to buy my first serious flashlight and liking the SF E2D. It seem to be a high quality light with excellent self defense characteristics.

Has anyone had experience with this product and/or can suggest alternatives with similar features?

Thanks,

Larry

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just added a E2D to my array of lights a few days ago. I really like it. Small and slim, yet really bright with some impressive throw. Plus the scalloped bezel has some good "bite" to it.

-Cameron

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF larryinpa! I have the E2d and its a great light; solid construction and blindingly bright for its size. In order to take advantage of its self defense features you should have some martial arts training, specifically using a kubotan or some other small impact weapon. Of course since the E2d's stock bulb is incandescent, there's always a chance the bulb can break if you hit something (someone) with it.
Possible alternatives to the E2d? How about these?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/streamlight_batonlite.html

http://hollywoodforces.com/ai767.html

Or you could buy a 4D MagLED or a 6D Maglite and swap the incan. bulb for an LED bulb, then you can attach one of these to the Maglite:
http://www.knifesite.com/Ram-Instrument-Sidehandle-Mag-Lite-System-p/refiii.htm

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome larryinpa. I highly recommend the E2D as well. I liked the first one so much that I bought a second one(great deal from B/S/T).

They are extremely reliable with a nice long runtime. It makes for an excellent EDC light.

The only problem with buying a Surefire light is that one light leads to two lights and so on and so on. It leads to what is called flashaholism. Good luck with that!:)

Last edited:

a99raptors

Enlightened
Hi there and welcome!

I had an E2d for awhile but I sold it because I was getting something else, plus the bezel was a bit of a nuisance in my pockets.

Another use for the strike bezel:
Breaks car windows, etc. So you can get yourself out of a trap... :)

islands52

Newly Enlightened
Nice review Dustin. Just as an aside since you mentioned it your review, but I just bought this light last week and it went through the security check-point in my carry-on luggage at MCCarran Airport without any problems. Meanwhile my buddies micro Leatherman with a 1" blade still in a blister pack was found and confiscated....go figure.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I've got an E2D, L4, E1e and up until last week an E2E. Of them all I use and rely upon the L4 the most, its got a nice scalloped bezel (unlike my older style E1e), the LED is GREAT for indoor, it has 'acceptable' (to my preference) throw outdoors, and as icing on the cake it runs on Pila 168S rechargable batteries! As far as 'bashability' the scalloped end coupled with the narrow diameter bezel still give it substantial impact if used in the same way as the E2D.

I love my E2d but to be honest it was a shelf queen until I got a non-crenelated bezel from Darell. Even now the only time I carry it is when i'm in a black suit (maybe part of the reason is I want to keep it looking shiny! because it looks so good ;) ). The rest of the time it is either the L4, or the E1e with a rechargable lithium battery and the KL4 bezel from the L4 on the E1e.

Like has been said, you can't go wrong with the E2D! Me personally, I find alot more versatility (and more durability from the LED being shock impervious and won't burn out) in my L4.

Would I sell my E2D? Never! Would I have preferred a crenelated black Really Bright LED head on it? If I had the money i'd buy the black KL4 from the Scout light and use that. Then i'd have the perfect E2D!

Just to add something else into the mix I'm even using my L1 again. After the KROMA talk, i've got a red filter on my L1, so i've got two stages of red or white light off one lithium battery :) But as far as brightness, it pales in comparison to the E2D.

One more thing, as has been said, if you want to carry it in your pocket, the bezel may/will tear your clothes and other pocket contents. If you carry it in a pouch etc, she'll be a beauty!

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I flew to D.C. from MCCarran Airport with my L4 (its my light of choice when flying). The only response to the light I got was half a dozen TSA guys and gals leaving their posts to come and check out how bright my "Surefire" was! And when I was going to D.C. everyone got the TSA 'All but bend over and cough' search.

I would not carry my E2d (because of the crenelated bezel) as carry on for air travel. For me the question of it being confiscated / not allowed etc is too great for losing my torch. And being marked 'Defender' they may put 2 with 2 and get 5 :)

I did get pulled up for taking my Gladius through screening at an Australian Domestic Airport, which after 5 minutes of eeerring and humming the Supervisor let me through with it (I didn't make it a point to show them the disco mode ;) ).

frisco

Enlightened
I like (love) mine allot. I'm gonna put the fivemega 3.7v bulb set-up in it so I can use rechargables in it.

frisco

larryinpa

Newly Enlightened
Of course now that I've found this forum, I do intend to get other lights. The E2D appeals to me for its self defense characteristics and because it's really cool. I am also looking at an Inova X0 or X5 as a more regular carry, but can't decide which would be a better all around light.

I guess I'll have to play with each to decide. Any opinions?

Larry

firefly99

Enlightened
You can't go wrong with the SF E2D. Love it so much, I got another to be shelf queen. Before I EDC it everyday in my jean / pant pocket.

Praxis

Enlightened
I think the E2D is a great light. I bought one for my girlfriend to carry at work (she works for the TSA so we have one flashlight friendly person at that agency). I think the self-defense aspects of the light are overrated. Without specific training, a small stick would be just about as effective (or ineffective).

If Surefire would produce the E2D in an LED model, I'd get one for myself in a second.

a99raptors

Enlightened
Been waiting for an LED version too. But seriously, I think incandescents blind better than LEDs. Tried the L2 high versus the A2 high on myself. Had a longer headache with the A2 and worse vision after that.... :)

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised nobody's signed in with the "weaponizing flashlights" rant . . .:rant:

Welcome to CPF!!!

EDIT: change "weaponifying" to "weaponizing". . . still doesnt sound right tho:thinking: you guys know what I mean :naughty: