dorcy super 1 watt

glock22fan

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post, been lurking here for a year or more. I have a ?
I recently purchased a dorcy super 1 watt from target, and wonder if I can switch the 1 watter for a 3 watt. Wouldnt the boost ckt power the 3 watter from the 1 cr123? thanks

Kris

Tesla

Enlightened
It would, but it's doubtful you would see an improvement in brightness, since the circuit would still drive it at a level appropriate for a 1 watt rated emitter. It seems to me that most single battery lights that do use 3 watt rated emitters underdrive them significantly, so they're not brighter by much (and in some cases at all) than 1 watt rated emitters.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. My Dorcy throws about the same as my Nuwai Q3 with a Luxeon III, but the Dorcy has a much whiter and nicer output (and costs $10 less.)

mdocod

Flashaholic
trick would be to put in a different regulator... I'm kinda in the midst of tossing around ideas to customize one of my little 1W 3xAAA lights- going to run it on 1x17670 lithium ion- and try to fit a puck regulator driving a 3W pretty hard- focused by a "Surefire tactical" style 26mm heavily textured reflector... the reflector mod is done- and can be seen in my sig...

I've never looked at a Dorcy Super 1W (the 123 version)... so I couldn't tell ya- but it's worth looking at how much space could potencially be salvaged (perhaps by removing the current regulator) to fit a higher powered regulator in there... then consider driving it with a RCR123 3.7V cell..

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The led is super easy to get to, thats a plus. The only thing i hate about this light is the window is popped into place and doesnt come out for a window replacement. But its a well built light for 20 bucks. The price of one cr123 and a Lux1 is about 15 dollars, so its a bargin.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to say lens, but a true lens (as in camera) changes what goes through it. Most flashlights use FLAT glass and that means its a window. For example, the KL1 uses a lens, the KL4 uses a window.

lens -

1. A ground or molded piece of glass, plastic, or other transparent material with opposite surfaces either or both of which are curved, by means of which light rays are refracted so that they converge or diverge to form an image.
2. A combination of two or more such pieces, sometimes with other optical devices such as prisms, used to form an image for viewing or photographing. Also called compound lens.
3. A device that causes radiation other than light to converge or diverge by an action analogous to that of an optical lens.
4. A transparent, biconvex body of the eye between the iris and the vitreous humor that focuses light rays entering through the pupil to form an image on the retina.

:touche:

Now i get to feel like a snoody nerd by posting a dictionairy definition.
Well, anyway, ITS A WINDOW NOT A LENS!