M3T or TL-3 for throw

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
All,

I have been reading here for a while but this is my first post. Hopefully this has not been hashed over a million times. I did search but did not really find anything on point.

I am currently using a SL TL-3 as my 'search' light. I EDC an A2 which I love but at times ( power out in the plant - happens all to frequenly ) I need more throw, then I fetch the TL-3 from the car.

How does the throw of a SF M3T compare to the TL-3 ? The info I found on-line only detailed the non turbo head version, I think. In that flavour the TL-3 was the clear winner.

Does the HOLA for the M3T make a huge difference in throw or just in spill like the G2 LOLA --> HOLA ? Too me it would seem ( if the mfg claims are accurate ) that I would need the HOLA in the M3T to match the 200 lumens of the TL-3, but does the relector size make up for the difference ?

I like the 3 cell so I can run a couple of 17500's day to day but if I run them out, drop in primaries and be back up and running fast.

I considered a MagCharger or Mag mod but really do not want to be limited to rechargables only or the size/weight.

I like the compact size of the TL-3 as I do carry it frequently in blackout prone times.

I am leaning towards the M3T just for the 'wow' factor - hey I can say that here and not be considered wierd !

Thanks -- Waterboiler

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome!

The M3T is an impressive light with the HOLA. I run mine on 2 rechargeable Pila batteries (168S) using a Surefire A19 tube extender. Don't have a TL-3 to compare it to.

A personal favorite is the Magcharger with a Welch-Allen 1160 bulb. Output (to my eyeballs) is up there in the Mag85 range, without the hassle of making one. I like Mag85s too, btw. :) But the M3T is more of the size factor you are looking for.

Check out www.flashlightreviews.com .

cheers!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF.

Between these two said lights, the SureFire M3T or even the SF.M3 is the way to go.

Enjoy!

jonman007

Newly Enlightened
I also am curious whether the m3t outthrows the tl3. Deciding whether to get a turbo head for my m3

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I have looked at "flashlightreviews" and "knivesandtools" and I have little doubt the turbohead will out throw the regular bezel. The "flashlightreview" info looks to be for the std bezel. For thoes numbers the TL-3 has the better throw. Using the M3 HOLA, evens things up and while the M3 comes out on top I wonder if in "the real world" you would notice any difference. If so, simply speaking, the M3 takes 3x the juice to match the TL-3 ( run time is quoted as ~1/3 that of the TL-3 ).

I guess my question really comes down to the "claims" for the two lights. the M3(T) is 125 lumes for 1 hour on 3 cells with the LOLA. My TL-3 claims 211 lumens and the same run time. I do not think that I get quite that long on the TL-3 but basically, I suspect they both have similar draws.

So is the TL-3 bulb/reflector almost 2x more efficient ? Somehow I doubt SF could be that far behind. I have a store near buy where I have tried one but the are "police oriented" and have limited flashlight knowledge. When I did try them back to back, in daylight in a smallish store against a wall, I could not really tell mush of a difference but the TL-3 looked a bit brighter then the M3T with the LOLA. To me thou the test conditions were close to useless.

I guess I could just buy the M3T and try it out. My worry is that even if the TL-3 still beats it in the M3T will grow on me and I will keep it and face the wrath of the better half. You see...My name is Waterboiler and I am a flashaholic...

spoonrobot

Enlightened
There needs to be a flashaholic preschool where everyone can go to learn the useful things about being a discerning "flashie."

Streamlight and Surefire measure light output differently. Streamlight rates the TL-3 in "bulb lumens." That is; the actual bulb produces 200 lumens. But remember that not all that light can come out of the reflector end, usually about 35% is lost to inefficiencies, reflection from the glass, etc. So that leaves you with @65% of 200 Lumens = @130 lumens out the front end for the TL-3.

Now, Surefire uses "torch lumens." That is; the actual amount of light coming out the front end of the flashlight is (for the M3T) 125 lumens with the LOLA and 225 lumens with the HOLA. Essentially the LOLA M3 and the TL-3 will look the same to you in terms of brightness. Indoors the M3T HOLA will not look much brighter than the TL-3 but when you take it outside in a wide open space and compare the TL-3 will be blown away.

So, we end up with two lights than have near even brightness so we move on to throw.

The TL-3 will out throw the M3, throw equal to the M3T (but with a much better beam-no oval) and will be crushed by the M3T HOLA. Unless you are wearing a coat and aren't really planning a lot of activity, or you like holsters the M3T is a pain to carry.

My idea: Buy an M4, beat both lights in brightness and runtime and call it a day.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
Spoonrobot,

Thanks - I should have figured the SL claims of 211 lumens were either "cooked" or rated differently. I should have based my comparision on run time which I suppose is more linked to the bulb ( resistance - power ) than the throw/light output.

I thought about the M4 but am not sure about rechargeable options for it. As well it may be a bit too long and battery hungry for my needs. The M3T will sit in my briefcase until needs arize - in fact I broke out the TL-3 today - needed its throw. I may llok into a holster for it but I doubt I will be EDCing it any day soon.

I guess I could always but the M3T then dig up a cell extender and a M4 bulb, if I find I really do the the HOLA a lot.

Waterboiler

Latest posts