3 Cell torch 2-nichia mod

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Just completed another torch mod by modifying a PR bulb with 2 off 5000mcd nichia LED's! It really does produce some serious light, though not as much as a luxeon would. The reflector appears to function well, being of the multifaceted "dichroic-style".
The bulb consists of the 2 nichias with a single 16.9 ohm resistor inside the bulb cap. I might get really smbitious and build a 4-LED bulb, but it starts to get a bit more difficult to get the LED's to fit through a standard PR torch reflector.
It would be interesting to hear from any UK torchaholics who have built thier own PR or ES bulb conversions, or have used the commercially available LED bulbs from places like RS. I know that there is even someone who has made a Luxeon PR bulb. Surely there would be heatsinking problems unless you use a heavy all-metal torch!?
The 2-Nichia modded torch is going to be put thru its paces this weekend in North Wales, along with the single LED BT1 prototype.
After the Jubilee holiday I will be commencing small scale production of the BTx series (first batch of 5 using Maplin-sourced LED's).
These will be the first "sale" products I make... watch this space!

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
UPDATE on the torch testing...
During the Jubilee holiday I headed to Snowdonia, the mountainous National Park in North Wales. Packed in my tankbag were the aforementioned torches and a 2AA powered filament lantern I have traditionally used as a tent light.
The nearest john was a considerable distance from my tent, so my torch was a useful ally as I made the 1/2 mile trip to the john, particularly in the dead of night.
The BT1 was wedged in a tree branch and served well as a camp floodlight and as a useful marker light when I had done ther necessaries. The modified 3D torch was an eyecatcher with its bright green beam looking far fresher than the mucky yellowed filament light emitted by most campers' torches. Both torches showed no sign of giving up, even though the BT1's batteries are the original ons installed at its birth and the torch was left on from dusk till bedtime. A fellow camper suffered darkness when one of the bulbs in his multitorch blew. I advised him o hang on to the old bulb and allow me to do a conversion to LED so he would never have to change a bulb again!
Many people were astounded with the vivid green output of both torches; both use 5000mcd nichia greens! Thed 3D green is becoming my favourite modified torch (it is the biggest and most powerful torch mod I've yet accomplished to date)
The green colour reflects well off grass and any foliage, and the beam is bright enough to pick out distant sign boards and car registration numbers!

All in all, the torch tests were better than I thought they'd be!

Matt.