Recommended light for hiking?

outofgum

Newly Enlightened
Later this summer, I'll be hiking in the mountains in rainforest conditions (South America) at an elevation of around 7,000 ft. The hike(s) will be over 3-4 days, so there will be nights too. Right now I have: a fenix l1p, PP 4AA lux, Costco lux, and of course a few mags. I also have an obscene amount of AA lithiums from the energizer deal that was running a couple months back.

I'm guessing people will recommend a headlamp, so is there one in particular? Should I bring any of my current lights with me? Is there something else I should have? Weight will definitely be an issue as well.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
A few have already been discussing these night hike/camping/outbacking lights.

eternaLight is one, and for headlights, there a number from Princeton Tec such as the Apex and Eos. Then there's Petzl Tikka XP and Myo to check out. Not too terribly expensive.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy—Your South American Rainforest hike!

Also, I'm sure you already are prepared for this, but be sure to take along a water purifier/filter such as the tried and true and proven, Katadyn Pocket Water Filter Purifier.

outofgum

Newly Enlightened
There is actually a ton of gear I have yet to buy. I have the basics like pack, tent, sleeping bag, shoes; but I need water filtration, maybe a stove, perhaps poles, and of course a spork.

Lights first though. Thanks for the filtration recommendation.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
My wife hiked Kilimanjaro in Africa two years ago. It was mandatory that everyone bring a headlamp. They woke them up at 4:00am to summit the mountain. I had her bring a headlamp, streamlight polymer, gerber ultra infinity and photon II. The most used was the photon and ultra infinity. I forget which headlamp was recommended. She's hiking part of the Appalachian trail this summer. The only change in flashlights will probably be the Princeton Tec EOS headlamp.

vandrecken

Newly Enlightened
I can't recommend the petzl tikka plus highly enough.

Small and light for comfort is the key. I prefer the lamp without a separate battery pack. Multi level is a big plus and you will find that as your eyes adapt to the dark the very low power settings are best for close up tsks around camp while full power broad beam light is more than good enough to walk by.

Extra halogen or focussed beams are less useful than you expect and add undesirable weight and bulk.

Take lithium primary cells for long life / minimum weight.

Lastly - for long trips, the real key is to take the bare minimum and then throw half of that away !

but ...

if you can't resist a second / backup light then either something totally reliable like an inova X5 for backup or a high output torch with 100 yard plus range helps avoid those promising trails that look good but soon veer off in the wrong direction. I use surefire 6p or C3 and find them invaluable among trees.

Cheers !

PS - it can be hard to find a flat and dry piece of ground to pitch a tent on in rainforest conditions. You also want to avoid the crawlies. Look very seriously into taking a hammock and tarp (aka "basha") instead of the tent. Hennessy make some really good combined hammock / tarp / mozzy net combinations. Very small and light and really comfortable.

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
I have used the Princeton Tec Aurora with good success. Small, lightweight. Uses AAA's very good run time. I dont believe its the latest or the greatest in regards to technology but works well. Has three levels low medium, high. Just a thought.

Regards.

Windscale

Enlightened
Definitely the Favourlight 3 Watt headlamp. It has the right balance between brightness, weight and runtime. I now go everywhere with it. Hiking for 2-3 days should be no problem. May be just a spare set of batts (2 x 123As) will do to be on the safe side. I use rechargeable 123As with mine. It is reviewed in flashlightreviews.com.

outofgum

Newly Enlightened
I'm definitely liking the PT Apex - takes AA, has adjustible output, and can do both spotlight and flood. Everything I need. I'm probably going to getting that and taking the L1P. It uses the same batteries and has pretty good light for its size / weight. Its also nice for the "wow" factor. I considered the PP, but I don't think I'll need something with a beam that concentrated. I was thinking about taking a few photons - maybe they're good for use in tent?

hikinhillary

Newly Enlightened
:grin2: Okay, well if weight is a concern- I would most likely go with a Dorcy- any Dorcy out there! I promise you, it will do no wrong and treat you well!!

No need to thank me for the advice- I know that as you are hiking through those rainforest mountains, you will be saying "thank God for HikinHillary"

Enjoy....

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Highly recommend the Aurora. It's relatively inexpensive, but it's all you need, and it weighs almost nothing but delivers better light than the coin-cell HLs I've tested.

Tuna

Newly Enlightened
As someone who hates having a ton of weight on my head, go for the PT Quad. It is lightweight and regulated. Can use lithium AAA for longer runtimes. The PT Apex at 1/2 pound just weighs too much for long hikes. Go to REI or similar store where you can try on different headlamps and you will see what I mean. I also carry a Surefire G2 or other 2 CR123 light for when I really need a burst of throw power. Good Luck!

aceo07

Enlightened
Nuwai 1Watt headlamp. It uses 2xCR123A. Regulation is very good and flat with 3 brightness levels. 5 hours flat output on high! 10 hours on medium.. 20 hours on low. It's also waterproof since it's sealed with o rings.

I've used it on 3 camping trips and at least 1 hike.