Too bright in Los Angeles tonight...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weather is warm with low cloud cover tonight, so it's real nice to be outside but the reflection of the city lights off the cloud cover is BRIGHT.

Hard to justify using a flashlight outside when I can read 16 point type under the open sky.... :rolleyes:

metalhed

Enlightened
Ahhh. Big city nights.

I know how ya' feel. Bakersfield has become much like LA in terms of light pollution, especially if you live near any retail development at all.

Just wait till the once-a-year campers get it out of their systems this weekend and come home, then go to the mountains...preferably the Sierras...and enjoy the darkness.

Just remember to pack your flashlights. :rock:

Razor

Newly Enlightened
I know exactly what you're saying, Nerdgineer. Last night I was out for a walk through an area that has absolutely no light sources whatsoever, and yet the light bouncing from the clouds/smog made it bright enough that flashlights were unecessary to dark-adjusted eyes. What's really sad is whenever there isn't cloud, there's more than enough smog to make up for it. Everytime I'm driving down the 10 or 210 freeway heading towards LA, the landscape slowly dissappears across the horizon under smog cover. It's kind of eery, and sickening at the same time.

As for a trip into the mountains to get away from it all, I'll have exactly that chance this September. My friends and I are going to Yellowstone, and the Thor is coming along! But mind you, I won't be using it in ways that will ruin the ambience for other campers. Well, not much, at least. My own higher-than-average sense of environmental awareness ought to keep me in check.

Latest posts