Include AA battery in all torch photo's please.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA battery is best relative size guide in all photo's.

Please include one in each.

Preferably correctly aligned.

Last edited:

amanichen

Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
Why not a ruler?
I think it might be because diameter and volume are difficult to judge from a ruler that's laid lenghwise along a flashlight.

I also have trouble visualizing a 3.5" flashlight because I don't normally put a ruler up to my hand. I have to take a set of calipers, measure an existing light of mine, and then try to judge off of that. A battery, however, is much more useful, because most people can visualize the size of an AA, or might have one on hand with them.

It also shows how much "unnecessary" bulk there might be -- if all a light carries is 2xAA in series, I kind of wonder when a particular flashlight body ends up being nearly 2" in diameter. Some flashlights seem ridiculously out of proportion in size and weight compared to the size and weight of the batteries that feed them. If someone wants a compact, lightweight flashlight, having a shot next to the battery that goes into the light gives a much better comparison than just a ruler.

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I like Quickbeams method of comparing to a Minimag flashlight. Almost everyone has had a Minimag in their hands and can compare the lights against that "feel". The AA battery is a good idea too because it gives a set size you can hold in your hand to "feel".

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowBat said:
"Equipped to Survive" practiced this idea on their shot show review website in 2005, but has since matched up the correct sized battery for 2006. When I first saw their review in 2005 I thought I was looking at flashlights that took AA cells.

Take a look and see what you think.
http://www.equipped.com/SS_2005_LEDFlashlight_Review-2.htm

Nice site, great link, not seen them before.