• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Sell - White, Yellow, Orange, Red - other colors available - second run

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sell - White, Yellow, Orange, Red - other colors available - Third run 11/11/2006

I have done a few maglites in powder coat, (dry powder sprayed with an electrostatic spray gun, then heated at 400 degrees for 10 minutes to bond the powder ) This finish is not as hard as anodize, but is much tougher than paint. Is there any interest in this? This is the only way, so far, of getting a pure white maglite. The cost would be $26.50 ( for the standard 2AA mini-mag )and this would include shipping by first class mail in the US. International shipping would be additional.

I mask off all the threaded areas, the powder coat goes directly over the anodize finish, I do rough the finish with a scotch brite like pad.

These are the 2AA Mini-Maglites,

I can do the 2D mags for $36.50, the 3D mags for $39.00

PM me with your request and I will send you payment information.

if you live outside of the US- don't send any money yet - I will have to figure out what the additional postage will be for international

I have a limited number of other colors available - let me know if you would want something else.

You really have to keep an eye on these guys...

I turned my back for a minute - they were trying to escape, I caught them in the grass....

S1.jpg

I thought the adults would have kept the Minis in line - they were just as bad. They kept on saying something about getting to the Post Office. How did they know that ?

from the original group - the lesson learned here is to completely clean the powder gun after using red. The white and the yellow have tiny specks of red mixed in, I kinda like the look - very different. The one in the middle is glow in the dark red over a completely turned down Mini. ( It doesn't glow, supposed to go over a white base, I just went over the polished aluminum )

Last edited:

Lucero

Enlightened
Re: Feeler - White Maglite

The inverse of black. The Maglite Negative. I think it's a pretty cool look. Sign me up for a Minimag, if you will. Are other size mags being offered as well?

Lucero

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like to do a few at a time - if possible. I had not planned on doing other sizes, I can look into that.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll have to see about the 2D fitting in the oven - I bought a separate toaster oven for this stuff.

the yellow is cool also...

Last edited:

Topper

Flashaholic*

Safety Orange possible? Is this a send my light kinda thing or were you going to supply the light and coat it? Do you have a time frame as I am interested
but mostly broke right now but that could change in a month or so.
Topper :)

Cliffnopus

Enlightened

will said:
I'll have to see about the 2D fitting in the oven - I bought a separate toaster oven for this stuff.

the yellow is cool also...

That's the color I want. That's cool.

Cliff

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would supply the lights - standard mags -I don't want to be responsible for someone's one and only, there is also the mail to contend with. -

I want to get a few confirmed buys, that way I can coat a few at a time, There is a lot of waste just doing one, the spray gun wastes a lot and you can't put it back in the jar.

I was thinking a month or so, just to see how many I could get.

Yellow - the pressure is on -

J_Oei

Enlightened

I'm interested in 2D maglites in various colors.
(White, yellow, orange, etc)

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Feeler - White Maglite, update

sorry - no fins...

dragoman

Enlightened

I'd be in for a Mini and a 2D, in white. The 2D I'd prob try to stencil Roar of the Pelican or something like it.....is is possible to stencil powder coat?

dragoman

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

dragoman said:
I'd be in for a Mini and a 2D, in white. The 2D I'd prob try to stencil Roar of the Pelican or something like it.....is is possible to stencil powder coat?

The powder coat is paint - but I don't know about stenciling on top - I think it would chip off pretty easily

I did a little reading on the powder coat - it seems that most inks and paints will rub off easily

Last edited:

localguy808

Newly Enlightened

nice. you can use some galvanized steel sheet metal and bend them into brackets and rivet them to the baking sheet diagonally on each side to powdercoat 3D bodies in your little toaster oven. i use stainless rivets .

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did a quick test on the toughness of the powder - I have a 4AA maglite with a custom foot ( Magenstein ) that has a rather thick coating of powder on it. I put some batteries in the flashlight and used it as a hammer.
the first picture is before I did anything
in between the white tape is the strike zone. - no damage -

I did hammer in the nails into the piece of pine I had, there was no damage with ring nail ( big flat head ) I did get a scuff mark when I hammered the finish nail.

I then dropped the light onto a concrete floor - height of about 4 feet on to the edge, the powder did chip off at the bottom edge. The scuff mark is better seen in this picture. I think if I did the same test with a regular maglite - I would have very similar results.

as they say - don't try this at home - this was done in a controlled environment - I don't suggest that a flashlight be used as a hammer..

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

I added 2D and 3D mags to the first post ..

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks like I will go ahead with this in the next week or so. I can do the minis in white or yellow. I can purchase some safety orange if I get at least 2 'buys' in that color. if it is just one - I can mix yellow and red to get orange. I can get the 2D mags in silver from action lights, probably best to get everything from action lights, although Wal Mart has gray . I prefer to coat over the silver or gray. The 2C mags only are available in black - I will pass on that..

I have heard back from 2 people so far with a reasonable confirm buy. anyone else interested please let me know. I'll put out the paypal info in the next few days. I don't want to start collecting money and then sit on it. I have a premier account so credit cards should not be a problem.

keep in mind - this is powder coat - much tougher than regular paint, but not as hard as anodize. I do not coat any threaded areas. I don't want to do any special lights - one ofs - that kind of thing. this is just for the standard mags and I will get them.

I don't want any one to be disappointed or to expect more that what this is.

I want to give anyone else interested a chance to get one of these, that is why I want to wait a few days. The numbers are small so time should not be a problem.

IMO - I think the minis look great. I haven't done any D size mags, I hope that the single powder coat color is not 'too much' if you know what I mean.

Pila_Power

Enlightened

Hi Wil, just a pointer,

we get stuff p/coated a lot and get screen printing done over the top of it later on. It does rub/flake off very easily unless you bake it again for 10 mins at about 100 degrees celcius (not sure f/ht equiv) which bonds the paint to the p/coat.

Cheers,

Tim.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

will said:
I can mix yellow and red to get orange.

Have you tried that before? I thought I'd read that you cannot mix the powders to get other colors...it's cool if you've tried it and it worked -- I haven't tried it yet, so was just curious...

JM-99