UW0J or UX0J... which is whiter/better?

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Title says it all. Which is whiter/better? I plan to use them in a light that has multiple levels so I am interested in opinions on max 1A and maybe as low as 100ma which will be better to use.

I notice 2 threads going on right now for both the UX0J and UW0J. I have already bought 6 UX0J (haven't got them yet) but want to be sure that I shouldn't have gotten the UW0J's instead.

Thanks.

Curtis

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
A WO bin will tend to look a little warmer (slightly yellow/brown) and an XO bin will run a little cooler (slightly blue). Honestly, both will look as white as they should be, and the difference will only be really noticable if you compare them together on a white wall.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
W0,WA,X0 all are nice, and given the variances between each led inside any batch I would be happy with any of them.

Its still lotery, but you chances of losing are pretty dim because you start with the top of the line, the premium crop.

Pablo

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every W0 I've had, had a pinish or reddish type of overtone. X0 have been very white for me, without being blue. But I've heard they can be slightly bluish.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
VO, WO, XO from warm to cool with WO being the most neutral
If you stay along the line, you'll be happy.
Planckian.jpg

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a fan of W0. But that is just me and it has taken me several years and $1000's to reach that conclusion.
This is a totally subjective kind of thing. You really need to build yourself a light or 2 in each bin and see what you like the best.
Some bin's have a green tint. While a green tint may not look great on a white wall. It works wonders when you are outside looking around while surrounded by green plants and shrubs. Why? Because the slight green tint makes the green in the world outside "POP". Many CPF'ers are into tints not for what they are good for but how white they look on a wall. Personally I could care less how they look on a wall. All of these emitters look good on a wall after a few minutes if they are by themselves because the eye gets used to it. Now add a second light into the mix and it becomes a whole other story. A good example of this is my McLUX III PD it has a U-Bin emitter. It is a biy on the green side against a wall buy at night outside it is a fantastic performer. The lights I use I use as tools. They just need to work, the color becomes less important to me anyway. Here you are asking for opinions. The best way to figure out what is best for you is to go and look at the light these emitters put out under the same conditions you will be using the light in.
There really is no BEST tint. The best is the tint you like best.

btw There is a thread I started about color correcting these emitters and being able to fine tune the tint. Yes there is a slight cost in terms of overall output but if tint is that important then a few lux won't matter anyway.
Yaesumofo

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's weird is I like the less warmer/greener tints outside. For some reason I see better contrast. Perhaps it's because all the green doesn't pop out at me, and distract me? It depends on the person as well I think. The bluer'r tints though I'm not a fan of either.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
Every W0 I've had, had a pinish or reddish type of overtone. X0 have been very white for me, without being blue. But I've heard they can be slightly bluish.
completely agree... my HDS GT is red-ish pinkish... the XO's are my fav. and seem to produce the whitest possible... if my tint isn't perfect i prefer to have it on the cooler side...

Donovan

Enlightened
yaesumofo said:
...Many CPF'ers are into tints not for what they are good for but how white they look on a wall. Personally I could care less how they look on a wall. All of these emitters look good on a wall after a few minutes if they are by themselves because the eye gets used to it. Now add a second light into the mix and it becomes a whole other story. A good example of this is my McLUX III PD it has a U-Bin emitter. It is a biy on the green side against a wall buy at night outside it is a fantastic performer. The lights I use I use as tools...
amen!
Take any two "white" LED's and shine them on a wall and you will see a tint difference! I agree, warmer tints are much better outdoors than the bluish tint the wall hunters think is white....

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, got many more responses than I expected. This is great. Once again another reason I keep coming back here.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. It is greatly appreciated.

Curtis

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
WO bin is my favorite, but XO is OK too. YO is too blue. For outdoor work, something in the V1 bin works very nicely, but I get "tired" of it indoors. Weird.

Within XO and WO bins, I have seen some on the pinkish side, but more on the greenish side. Even so this is usually only apparent when used next to other LEDs.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an example of how tints can look:

tintcompare5xx.jpg

From left to right: X0, W0, Y0, HDS "guarateed tint", and X1.

Keep in mind the luxeon lottery and how crappy your monitor is at producing accurate colors....

In general, I like X0 the best because I find this the whitest with the least tint. My second best would be Y0 for indoors and WO for outdoors.

WP

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comparison pic wave!

I'm glad I jumped on the UXOJ star! My eyes see that beam color as perfect, well to me anyways!

AlexGT

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two UXOJ stars coming myself.
Someone tell me if my thinking was wrong concerning tint shift. My plan is to run it in my MillerMods (Fenix) L1P at 490mA or mildly underdriving the XO bin. Since the bin should be ever so slightly bluish, I figure underdriving it will take the blue out and shift it towards white. Less blue coming off the LED should allow the phospher to shift the tint.

Flash007

Enlightened
I use UWOJ in my MM L2P (3,3w-980mA) and the tint is excellent, slightly warm white.

For my MM L1P (1,7w-490mA), I have ordered 3x SWOH Lux 1w, wich will be thus overdriven in my MM L1P.

I have hesitated between UWOJ, UXOJ, SXOH and SWOH for the MM L1P.
I hope I've done the good choice.
Overdriven SWOH must be more white, I think.

UWOJ in the MM L1P (490mA) gives a little more yellowish tint compared to the excellent tint it gives at 980mA in my MM L2P.

But even at 490mA, UWOJ tint is very good.

When I will mount SWOH in my MM L1P, I'll do beamshots to compare them.

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you drive a UWOJ at 980mA, it should push the tint more bluish but you like that "cold white" tint. Overdriving an SWOH LuxI at 490mA should do about the same thing making it a bit "colder". As always, it all depends on the tint within the WO bin or in my case, the XO bin.

Really like my MillerMods L1P with two-stage switch for a bicycle helmet light. Since Eric removed all the loc-tite when changing the regulator, it makes swapping out the Luxeon so much easier. If the XO changes tint to more white or stays bluish, no problem since whatever the tint--it will be much more noticable to drivers than yellow.

Now to see what your S bin does in a MM L1P :)

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like XO because of the very very slight blueish tint. To me it looks brighter (even though its not).

Jeff

Donovan

Enlightened
I like XO because of the very very slight blueish tint. To me it looks brighter (even though its not).
When being underdriven, I like the XO vs the WO - the WO can appear a bit to yellow.

A bit yellow is much better than a bit blue. Outside (not white wall hunting) a warmer tint is so much better. Still doesn't have the broad spectrum of an incan but it will tend to give a bit more detail and less 2d ghostly look on objects....

I don't understand this obsession with cold blue "white" tints. Maybe because they are trying to get away from the "yellowish" incans? But whatever it is I think a lot of folks have a warped idea of what is "white" and what works best in the real world as opposed what looks good on a wall...

I have said it in other posts but I would be willing to bet that the folks who like blue white also have their TV's and displays running a high 9300k color temp (which is what most of them default to). Try setting your display and TV to a more "true white" at 6500k or 5500k and see the difference!!!

Now as to the original question, I think you will be very happy with your UX0J's...

Last edited: