replace L4 rflctor for more throw?

charley103

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Surefire L4 to replace my battered 6P, circa 1990 or so. I knew the L4 wouldn't have the lumens or throw of the 6P/P61, but I wanted the compactness and runtime. It's a good light and I like it, but it would serve me better if the center beam could be focused more tightly for more lux and more throw. Is there a relatively easy fix for this? E2 heads don't have the regulation circuitry and won't fit (I assume) but I wondered if there's anything else that might drop in (more or less) and make it reach a little farther.

Thanks for any info.

C.

carrot

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF.

I find that the KL1 bezel (aka E1L, E2L head) has a good amount of throw that compares well to my A2 (which throws similarly to the 6P). It has less lumens, but the beam is much tighter, and also no flood. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, though.

5w LEDs tend to not throw very well, either.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
KL4's no not have throw of a SF 6P, but they do have a higher overall light output (lumens), and hold that output for most of their runtime. Output is 80-100 lumens, depending on the bin of the emiter. P60 LA does 80+ lumens starting out off of fresh CR123 cells, but in a matter of a few minutes has dropped below that figure, and continues to shed lumens as battery depleats. KL4 serves its purpose as a great flood light, and can be run with a high capacity LiIon cell.

Bill