• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD: 6AL/4V Titanium 1.125" O.D. rod

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a limited supply of 6AL-4V Titanium in 1.125" solid rod.:twothumbs

This size is desirable for flashlight bodies, because it's .125" over normal flashlight, head and body tube sizes. Most metals should be considered mill finish, even when ground finish is listed in the description. Normal warehouse storage and handling will scuff and scratch raw stock.

If you've been thinking about giving Titanium a try for that special project? Now is your chance to get the length you want and have the right O.D. to start with. Parts that are machined 'all over' are the most desirable, because you are in control of the final surface finish.

I don't have an unlimited supply, and I would only like to sell shorter pieces, for ease of shipping.

$75 for 6 inches, shipping included.

$125 for 12 inches, shipping included.

McMaster sells 1.000" O.D. for $137.82 per foot, and one foot is the minimum order, plus shipping charges.

1.250" O.D. for $209.18 per foot, and one foot is the minimum order, plus shipping charges.

I can offer some tips, if you're not sure where to start in your machining aventure.

It's fun, it can be very frustrating, but if you stick with it, you'll learn how to work with it. Everything is a learning experience, and anything is possible. It's all up to you. If you own a lathe or a milling machine, you've completed half of your project already.

PM if interested.

Thanks,

TB

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: 6AL/4V Titanium 1.125" O.D. rod

Some of my goofy stuff from the past, and some new adventures.

Button for cell phone clip on my EDC. I know.....like that really needs to be made out of Titanium. :grin2: Don's fault...that's all I have to say about that one.

The bolt is for bicycle crank arms, the one pictured is an unfinished blank. I made a tailstock die holder and threaded many of these with HSS dies (not hardware store dies, OSG brand HSS) Most of the stuff you hear about, as far as working with Ti is true, but not all of it. You just have to listen to the machine and use your head.

The things with the stainless nuts, and the bushing are ??? Probably from prototype work with motorcycle parts (I gotta lotta crap in the shop) :laughing:

The big ring is one A3 bezel ring that I screwed up. I could see the end mill cutting into my holding fixture (you'd think that would have stopped me, Duh...I'm a dumbass) :oops: :rant: I hope I learned my lesson from that one. :grin2: Anybody want this one?

Just a sample of things that really don't need to be made from Titanium. But it sure is fun. :twothumbs

TB

Last edited:

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since it's much harder to mill the 6061,
what is the most common reaction from shops,
when requested to do jobs with this precision
on Ti ?

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

bombelman said:
Since it's much harder to mill the 6061,
what is the most common reaction from shops,
when requested to do jobs with this precision
on Ti ?
Couldn't tell you. I do all my own machining.

TB

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

This head was made from the 1.125" 6/4 rod.

Last edited:

Warleader

Newly Enlightened

I'll take some of this . . . . . especially if I can bend your arm into making it into one of your wonderous creations!

I really love your stuff! Thanks!

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks TB.
My foot arrived a few days ago and I picked it up from the mail drop this morning. Most excited. A lightly faced one end and , just to see what would happen, and used my standard aluminium RPM, feed etc. Cut beautifully but will slow things down when I start to get serious.
Thanks again for all your help and communications.

InFlux

Enlightened

TranquillityBase said:

The big ring is one A3 bezel ring that I screwed up. I could see the end mill cutting into my holding fixture (you'd think that would have stopped me, Duh...I'm a dumbass) :oops: :rant: I hope I learned my lesson from that one. :grin2: Anybody want this one?

TB

If the ummmmm... "practice" A3 bezel ring is still up for grabs, I'll take it!
:grin2: