inside the magled 3 cell

lessing

Newly Enlightened
So i bought a three cell upgrade today. When I got it out of the package, my hopes of something better fell apart. There was a large swath on the dome of the luxeon that looked like something spilled inside the dome. Put it in the mag anyway and I have to say the color is outstanding compared to stock, It is a very high color temp white leaning on the blue side. The beam is identicle to the stock bulb. All this upgrade does for me really is make it a better color temp. It is brighter than stock, but since the beam is identicle, its not brighter enough to make the mag light a usable flashlight for me.

Now to the fun part. Since I do not like the upgrade, I thought I should take it apart for everyones enjoyment. Let just say, no skill is involved and anyone can do it. I used a leatherman wave. Grab he base of the pr midule, the black d shaped part with the round knurled part of the pliers. Give the slightest twist left and right while pulling away from the led and out pops the black core. This contains the circuit board, The led has no wires run to it. It is not even soldered. The circuit board has three spring contacts on the top. Two are used to grab the tabs off the side of the luxeon and the middle presses against the center of the metal case under the luxeon to grab ground. The luxeon is thermal gooed to the metal can and can be popped off with very little effort, but you will need more goo to put it back on. The circuit board only requires straightening of the positive tab to be pulled from the black plastic. No damage was done in the disassembly except the need for more heatsink goo. It is completely reversable.

Pictures in a couple of hours as soon as I figure out how to post them. The ics on the circuit board are probably too small for my digicam to capture clearly. We will see.

Brian

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thanks, Brian! Just bought one myself today and I thought of taking it apart, but I'll hold off for now since you've graciously volunteered to do it yourself. Looking forward to the photos!
:popcorn:

lessing

Newly Enlightened
hereare the pics, I hope this works.

All pictures should be here now.

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
lessing said:
hereare the pics, I hope this works.

I am going to do one then edit the others in.

Sorry I had to re-post your picture, this is the only way I can see it.

10017795rz.th.jpg

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great, thanks for doing that. Looks like some kind of regulation. I see two integrated circuts and some kind of transformer or inductor.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pics lessing :thumbsup:

*Edited for lack of constructive content. As was stated in the initial MAG/LED thread, blatant, irrelevent bashing will not be tolerated.*

Last edited by a moderator:

jwl

Enlightened
Cool...probably won't be long before somebody shoves a U-bin (or better) in there instead. Especially since it comes apart so easy. Almost forgot, you guys that like the colored LEDs instead of white could have a ball with this. Thanks lessing.

:goodjob:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for doing this!

Looks like Mag spent some design time to make sure these were easy to assemble. As well, it loosk like they got emitters that have been partially processed (no lead shaping and trimming).

Thanks for the pics!

Paul