Light Edge hacked?!?!

mrichelo

Newly Enlightened
Just went over to Light Edge to look at some things...

apparently thev've been hacked!!!

there is a Russian?!? hip-hop song playing.

wierd. anyone seen this yet?

Mark

NAW

Enlightened
Now, why did they have to choose light-edge? If they realy want to be noticed why did they choose a website most people dont even know about? Anyway, I hope Light-edge can clean this mess up immediateley.

metalhed

Enlightened
It's actually been hacked by a Turkish hacker's organization. The group has been active for several years, and got some ink a couple of years ago for hacking a diplomatic site and defacing it with anti-war slogans.

I haven't been able to translate much of the page, but it does include the Turkish national slogan.

BTW, I've been to the site and then checked my test box with AdAware and SpyBot...no drive-by software observed. I don't know if that would be this group's style or not. Be careful going there tho'...still risky IMHO.

Also, mods...another thread was closed yesterday because it included the site address...and I completely understand not wanting to further any possible infections from this hack. I think that was the right call.

But can this stay open, sans website address, so that we may discuss this (I think) important situation? Please?

nerdtoy

Newly Enlightened
I belong to a terrorist monitoring group, we have been very successful in eliminating a LOT of their sites and monitoring ones too important to shut down. I have people in our group that can translate any language if you need any help - specifically in the security end for this light web site.

protesting the war is one thing, hacking a web site falls under domestic terrorism actually. :thumbsdow

I have a lot of friends in Turkey, maybe the server logs if the hackers were sloppy will reflect their route. typically they compromise a high speed personal computer and use that through a proxy to do their dirty work but there is always a trail. Only very elite hackers know how to cover their tracks. In fact they may have installed a root kit that any newbe can get their hands on so they might want to sheck the server really good and look for a root kit installed and get the server updated. Its usually a tiny hole in some process that the server depends on that they compromise to get in such as sendmail or similar. Really a bummer to hear a FLASHLIGHT WEB SITE was hacked.

One would think they would go after Aaron's site or something like that..
http://haganah.us/haganah/index.html

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I don't know when their site was hacked, but I ordered some bulbs about ten days ago (got them fine). A few days after ordering, that credit card number was stolen and a whole slew of small charges appeared, leading to a slew of junk appearing in my snailbox. And it's a credit card I hardly ever use, so I believe the probability of correlation is high.

Just a headsup, check your credit cards that you may have used at light-edge. Really sucks for them, and us, too. Hope it's all sorted out soon. The card company is replacing the card and has started an investigation.

daloosh

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a truly terrible thing to happen. Both for the store and the customer.

I have to say that one good thing about using paypal exclusively and
taking MO and check only is that this can't happen to me (fenix-store.com)
because my store doesn't store or even take credit cards. Of course
you have to trust paypal.com's site, but they're a bigger company
and I don't mind them handling my CC transactions.

Mr. light edge, when you get around to it, could you let us know how they
got in? And what kind of software you used? That would help us little
store owners protect ourselves from this happening again. :)