how far does a 5w luxon thow?

scotty2hotty

Newly Enlightened
im a total hack newbie to do it your self electronic's. wot im attempting to do is make a small powerfull torch\light of some sort to attach to the front of my compound bow so that i can hunt at night. Im hoping some one may be able to help me, ceeping in mind that i have size and weight restictions. :candle:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
In general, Lux V's don't throw very well with the smaller reflectors. You may be better off looking into a Lux III light with a 27mm reflector if you want throw in a small package.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends upon what kind of arm it has ;).

Sorry couldnt resist. Actually I think it is dependant upon a lot of issues that will be explained better than I can. Using different lens like the Inova Tiros greatly increases throw, but decreases sidespill.

frisco

Enlightened
You should check out the 7w Golston .... pretty cheap and throws far. This could give you a baseline for what you want to build.... or it could be a solution !

frisco

scotty2hotty

Newly Enlightened
A 7w Gaulstone? sorry my attempt at humer wot is it and wher would i find one? and roughly how much in aus dollars.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxeonV's can throw as long as the reflector is very large. LuxVs are 4 times the size of LuxIII's and need a larger reflector to focus it down to a spot. Think something the size of a Mag 2D head which is too large for your requirements. As morelight states, get a LuxeonIII with a 27mm reflector... that will punch a hole through the darkness and won't be too large to fit on your bow.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
sfthfrankenstein7na.jpg

How far you want to throw you light is proportional to the amount of money you can afford to throw away. Small wallet- 40 feet. 165 feet and more with a fat wallet (the wallet then becomes small.) It is hard to use less once you see how well a precision Lux V light works.

The right combination of parts will make a Lux V throw a lot more then you think it would. You are very noticeable when you turn on the light.

The Surefire C3 with the Turbo Head and Lux V Tower Module is quite an impressive white-beam light. It can be housed in a small SF C2 or 6P body but I like the long staff look. My C3 Frankenstein is not has heavy as it looks.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know this was the ultimate throw thread. In that case a $3 LED laser will out throw a Lux III.

scotty2hotty

Newly Enlightened
nothing so far im going to my local electronics store and buying the bits so i figure about $30aus, probably a beter way to word my quirey is it the light source or the reflector that dictate the distance the beam will illouminate?or am i trying to re invent the wheel.:dedhorse:

cy

Flashaholic
you can get excellent throw from a 5watt without spending much $$ by doing an Mr bulk SNIII direct drive clone. add a Downboy 917 ($20) if running with li-ion or BB 1000 if running with 2x C nmh. you can also do the same with 2x D mag and 8x AA or 6x AA holder.

aprox. costs

$18 = 2C mag host
$12 = hotlips C heatsink
$30 = Wbin
$10 = misc wire, Actic Alum
$12 = UCL lens

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cy, How's he supposed to mount a 2D Maglight on the front of a bow and still be able to shoot accurately ? I'd say he needs something the size of a one cell Fenix. The P1 has good throw, may even do the job on its own with a rechargeable.

cy

Flashaholic
opsss... didn't see the bow mount part.

I'm an avid bow hunter and have gone out many a time in pitch dark. but never had a desire for a bow mounted light.

probably the best solution a KL4 with E1E body running R123 li-ion. then fab a mount that mounts to bow weight.

carrot

Flashaholic
Hmm, I stumble in and find an enormous amount of CPF-speak and a bewildered newbie trying to understand the "crazy talk" people have been saying.

What is it you're looking for? I get that you want to use a Luxeon to go bow-hunting, but what are your requirements in a light? It may just be simpler to use a store-bought solution, especially if you're a newbie to electronics. You'd also need to come up with a heatsink for the Luxeon because they create much more heat than the 5mm LEDs you're probably more familiar with. Let's also not forget the need for a reflector (or to machine one) and a battery case, and suddenly your expenses could go higher than it would be to just modify an existing light.

What I'm finding a little confusing here is-- are you looking for a thin beam of light that throws far, a wide beam that floods an area with light, or something a little in-between? Luxeon III (3w) lights tend to be better throwers, and Luxeon V (5w) lights tend to be pretty floody, although this isn't very firm -- it's really dependent on the reflector or lens you use with it. To paraphrase what everyone else said, Luxeon V lights need a bigger reflector to get the same kind of throwy beam that you'd get from a (smaller) Luxeon III light.

Or maybe we're all misunderstanding you -- are you familiar with the general floody beam characteristic of a LuxV and want to know how far you can expect a LuxV light like a Surefire L4 or L6 to throw?

For reference, you can get the 7w Golston and other cheap but decent lights on QualityChinaGoods.com. I've dealt with them before, and I can say I'm pleased with Dae's service.