FINAL QUESTION - What Is BRIGHTEST Mod For...

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

...DB 4AAA? Got my hands on one tonight from Wal-Mart, around $8 bucks. But then I am a Skill Level "0" type, so what could be done to brighten it up without big-time mod talents? (see 7th post below...)

Bad Influence

Newly Enlightened
Well, as a starting point, you can convert it to run 4 AAA in series per Doug's (Quickbeam's) site. The mod's easy, and shouldn't take more than a few minutes. I haven't had any luck running the stock bulb on all 4 cells, but if you put a dummy cell in, it SHOULD run off of 3 cells. Mine did, and it was a touch brighter than stock. This also opens the opportunity for LED mods. I currently have a near-UV led in mine, but I'm having trouble with strobing and discoloration, so I'm sure it's fried..... I'll have to seek out Craig's help on this matter.
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks DB. I was even wondering about Carley types, or mebbe even a modified SF LA of some type.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks YC, but can you (or anyone) tell me if I am thinking this through correctly:

1) wire the DB 4AAA to run the batteries serially

2) buy a bulb from Welch Allen (or whoever) that is rated at...

In reading YC's referenced thread above (four long pages of technical stuff, most of which I do not fathom) apparently there are bulbs I can buy that will directly replace the one in my DB 4AAA and produce...how many lumens? 200? 246?

I am very interested in doing this! And if it works, I will have an As New SF G2 with spare unopened P61 LA -- for pretty cheap...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:
Thanks YC, but can you (or anyone) tell me if I am thinking this through correctly:

1) wire the DB 4AAA to run the batteries serially

2) buy a bulb from Welch Allen (or whoever) that is rated at...

In reading YC's referenced thread above (four long pages of technical stuff, most of which I do not fathom) apparently there are bulbs I can buy that will directly replace the one in my DB 4AAA and produce...how many lumens? 200? 246?

I am very interested in doing this! And if it works, I will have an As New SF G2 with spare unopened P61 LA -- for pretty cheap...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So befuddledly, my actual question is -- if the DB 4AAA is serial-wired, with no other alterations done to it, what is the absolutely brightest bulb I can run in there? And who would it be available from? (I know, that's two questions...)

Don't care if it runs only 15-20 minutes at this brightest level, don't care if it will fry eggs on the housing after a few minutes, just want an ElCheapo SF HOLA-bright, or even brighter, beam...

Bad Influence

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'm not too electronically inclined yet, so the Carley bulbs I can't help with too much. On the matter of putting a SF LA in the DB, it CAN be done, and shouldn't be too difficult..... I see 2 problems though, and those are the runtime you'll get off 4 AAA's, and the price of a SF LA compared to the price of the torch itself..... Personally, I think the DB 4AAA is more suitable for LED mods, but (obviously) I'm not inclined enough to make it work.

Can anyone offer advice on my flashing LED problem mentioned above?
rolleyes.gif