• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: Custom HA3 grooved Tri-LuxV (SOLD)

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
[SOLD]

What is it:

Converted Mini2HID Mag host, grooved body and head, tailcap switch, PTS2-D, (3) WX0T LuxV, shark driver running @700ma (semi-potted), (3) McR-20 reflectors, UCL lens, 2 x 18500 adapter, (2) protected AW 18500 li-ion cells.

What I noticed:

One oddity was that these LuxV are of the lower die height, meaning they would need joker reflectors. I tested them with each style reflector and what I found was...well...weird. Each LuxV on it's own performed better (less doughnut) with McR-20J's, however, when grouped in a trio there was a noticeable hole. I switched to regular McR-20's which resulted in slightly more flood, but as a trio worked out nicely, however there is still a slight doughnut that is only noticeable when wall hunting. :shrug:

Why I did it:

This light was built as more of a :wow: light. It does get hot on extended (1min.+) runtimes. The annodizing was removed from inside the head where the PTS contacts and thermal paste was applied to aid in heat transfer.

The dark spot on the tailcap is a photoflaw.

This was taken during a noon time lit room.

Partially potted to keep secure. The heat from the Lux's is more than the driver would produce, therefore was left open to air.

Size comparison against a "standard" 2D Mag.

$315 shipped in the US. Add $8 for international. Paypal only on this one (cash pp prefered). Interest posts allowed, but with respect to others must commit in a timely fashion.

Expensive...yes, but its pretty much my parts cost. :(

-DF

Last edited:

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Re: FS: Custom HA3 grooved Tri-LuxV (Pending?)

No question mark

I'll take it, Paypal sent :sold:

$15 additional for USPS Express Mail service included

(any more of those nifty JST two-pin quick disconnect pigtail leads??)

Last edited:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question mark removed. :grin2:

I'll get everything out Tuesday since Monday is a holiday. (Post office is closed monday, isn't it? :thinking: ) I'll even leave work early just to be sure I get there in time. :laughing:

Thanks Lunar...
-DF

Oh, and yeah, I just got some more JST connectors in so I'll throw some in the box.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Re: FS: Custom HA3 grooved Tri-LuxV (Pending?)

I have 2 issues with this setup.

Number 1: reflectors. I could include some extra, but I would like to have a trio of McR-20Js to go along with the standard 20s installed in the head. My experience has been a very strong preference towards the -J reflector on Joker height LEDs. I need to see the trio focus blend phenomenon to judge which is preferable. I suspect I will run the -Js in this light, which would be perfect as I have 2 pending PTS projects of my own and I desperately need McR20s. If I prefer the standard McR20s, then I'll have Js for my PTS. win-win. I'd even be so bold as to ask for a trio of standard McR-20s on top, so I dont have to go to the Shoppe again, unless they all of a sudden stock the X-bin HD45s again!! Ill send an additional PP when you indicate response.

Number 2: power pack. I agree with your choice of the 2x 18500 setup for short runtime but I would like to have an option for extra capacity. Since the stock mag switch is gone and there's a tailcap switch, will 2 D cells fit in the space currently alotted by your 18500 setup? It seems its a 1.75D but theres a bit of wiggle room due to the tailcap arrangement. I am one of those brave souls who have a substantial cache of D-size LiIon cells (5200mAh, 10A discharge) so perhaps 2 cells may fit or 1 cell IF it meets the min requirements of the shark for input (4.2-3.7V). Let me know on this. Can the shark be fitted with a dimmer pot like the Fatman? or is there a pot on the board thats accessible? both? this setup cries out for dimming capability to extend runtime and control heat for safe long runs at reduced output, with the option to go cojones to the wall on demand. just a thought.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
WOW! it got edited to SOLD already! Nifty! :sold:

Question mark relegated to obscurity, replaced with exclamation point !

Long as we're at it here, please send me an email with any other FS canidates you may have, so all could go together Tuesday via Express. Monday IS a postal holiday, NO pickups or deliveries. I should know. This and the QIII, its looking like Christmas. Although its Memorial Day, I will have a moment of silence for all the dead Presidents, my portraits of them, that have sacrificed all so that I could meander down the BST river. Whatever that means. Im going to the beach.... :grin2:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Body itself was originally a Mag2HID which houses an 8aa-2d adapter. So 2 Lithium "D's" may work. Damien nice job.:) Lunar did you get my holder out?

Mac

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) It's up to you. I can include either the 20's or the 20J's or both if you like. They're $14 and $16 each respectively at the Shoppe. So I guess if you want both, add another $45?

2) 2D li-ions cells will fit, BUT there is a big issue with me and that's low voltage protection. I'm guessing the cells you have are raw with no PCB for overcharge/discharge and short. There isn't enough room for a secondary protection circuit to be installed with the batteries and it would be solely on user resposibility to monitor/manage the usage.

The Shark has onboard current "adjustment" and it is accessible, but it's a set and forget type thing. You can add an external pot or PWM driver, but I've never used it with any of my mods, so I may not be the best of help. The driver board is partially potted, so adding an external pot will be difficult, but shouldn't be impossible.

:)
-DF

Last edited: