MagLED doesn't fit in 3D clone flashlight

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
So I rushed out and got a MagLED 3-D drop-in the other day, thinking I could use it in my Great-Lite 3D clone. This flashlight currently has an Epieon bulb in it and I wanted to see what it could do with Mag's regulated LED.

So I took the flashlight apart, removed the Epieon, tried to insert the MagLED and discovered that it doesn't fit. :ohgeez:

The Epieon uses a skinnier base than the MagLED bulb.

So I've just tried holding the bulb in place with the head removed in order to get a brightness comparison between the two bulbs and the MagLED is a LOT brighter and whiter than the Epieon (sorry John). I'd say about three times as bright on a fresh set of Eveready alkalines. (EDIT: I should clarify that the Epieon is a 1 watt and the MagLED is a 3 watt unit.)

I guess my next project will involve trying to make up an adaptor for the MagLED. It's as good an excuse as any to find a way to improve the heat sinking.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be cheaper and certainly easier to just get a 3D Mag. If you have a Fry's store around, some of the stores still have some of the $9.90 3Ds in Green, Blue, or Red. Alternatively, there are the warehouse store combo packs with a MiniMag (with or without batteries depending on the store) for about $20, and 3D lights are available separately from all sorts of places for about $15. Or ... you could return the module to the store and just wait for the 3D lights to show up, as the cost of the MagLED light is less than the cost of a light and a module separately. Right now, it looks like the best prices (before shipping) might be those from http://www.action-lights.com and he's also offering an additional 10% off to CPF'ers with the promo code of CPFL until 6/10, see post #36 at http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=118988&page=2&pp=30 , so if you're ordering multiple items that would spread out the cost of shipping, it too can be a viable cost-effective resource as well.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon:

Sorry to hear it doesn't fit your light. Never a good feeling.

P.S. Great to see you at Dayton...thanks for the pics!

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
fieldops said:
Photon:

Sorry to hear it doesn't fit your light. Never a good feeling.

P.S. Great to see you at Dayton...thanks for the pics!

You're welcome, Fieldops. Glad you could make it!

I could try to bore out the plastic adaptor that currently holds the Epieon in place, although that would leave the adaptor with an extremely thin wall. I haven't given up on the idea though!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
MayCooper said:
Finally, someone else who has a great-lite flashlight :) I actually own 4D and 2AA greatlites... They both suck... :) but are dead cheap so good loaners for the neighbours...

Yeah, I don't remember when or where I bought it, but it was a decent hunk of metal for the price. If nothing else it's a good rugged nightstick.
:huh: