Whats a looooong lasting cr123 light?

billgr

Newly Enlightened
i have 2 cr123 lights....both nuwai's.

i'm looking for a backup that has great runtime as a back up. obviously, it wont be bright since it has looong run time. 1 cell preferably.

thanks...............Bill

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS lights have low low settings which will give long run times. The EDC Ultimate lights let you pick a very low low setting if you want.

There are other two level lights that will give long run times on low: Fire-Fly 2 and 3, modified Nuwaii Q3's, etc.

If you are asking about a single level light then I'll have to say I don't know.

Greg

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
The Tektite Splashlight LS is a single CR123 light which might fit your bill. It's a simple all plastic affair with an underdriven side emitter lux which gives a not particularly pretty beam, but which should last at least 5 hours on a battery. It's also dive rated to 30m.

I have one specifically as a backup light, but then again I have so many torches that the power would need to be off for 6 weeks until I ran out!

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Besides the Splash-Lite LS, there's also the Splash-Lite LED which is a little cheaper, lower powered but even easier on its batteries. I've got one and it will run quite well off batteries that won't even light the Gladius on its lowest level!

I plan to purchase another one or two soon. I like it that much!

http://www.tek-tite.com/src/product_info.php?id=2109

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Oh wait... There is a difference to be pointed out: If you have a full battery and want to make it last as long as possible, then perhaps a multi-brightness light like a HDS would work well. It would be brighter and more efficient than a Splash-Lite if my calculations are correct.

However, once the battery dips below a certain capacity -at levels that a HDS EDC probably won't even light up, it may be more efficient to use a Splash-Lite.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
billgr said:
thanks for the ideas....but they are all out of my price range of 20-50$

I suggest an Inova T2. Runs on two CR123As for around 5.5 hours in regulation. Price about $40 USD. T2s are great as backup light because they're built like tanks and will survive pretty much any physical abuse one could throw at them.

Also look at the X5, but be aware it's not regulated.

LouRoy

Enlightened
The Tektite Splashlite LED is a great light for draining batteries and should have a very long runtime with a new battery. I tested mine and wrote about it in the past. You may be interested in my findings:

"I have also been looking for a good light to drain batteries. I just ran a little test using a Tektite Splashlight LED that I got from Battery Station. This light uses a single CR123 battery.

First, I used my HDS Basic 42 to drain down the battery to its lowest light level (.3 lumen if I recall correctly). I then left the B42 on for 14 hours until the led began to flash constantly and the light would not stay on in constant mode. Note that the light coming from the B42 was very low and not very useful during the latter half of this 14 hours.

I then removed this battery and installed it in the Splashlight. I was startled at just how much brighter the light was than in the EDC while using the same battery. It was almost as bright as an Infinity Ultra at that point!! (With a new battery, the Splashlight is slightly brighter than the Ultra, at least by my eyes.)

I left the Splashlight on for 6 hours. At this point, it was noticeably dimmer than the Ultra (30-40%??) , but about the same brightness as the Eternalight is when only 1 led is on. The light was still useful and I could easily navigate the house and read writing from a page.

I left the Splashlight on for approximately 4-5 more hours, at which point it would no longer light. The amount of light coming from the Splashlight was dim but still useful all the way up until it would not longer light.

In summary, on a battery that would barely make the EDC blink, I got 10+ hours of useful light from the Splashlight. I normally don't like plastic flashlights, but this one feels good in the hand and seems well made. I got an incredible amount of light from a battery that would not effectively light any of my other CR123 lights. I can highly recommend this light to anyone looking for a small, fairly bright light that can truly drain a battery."

I haven't done a runtime on this light, but it should be quite long based on how long it lasted with an almost totally depleted battery.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
spoonrobot said:

That's just the standard discharge curve for lithium primaries under a light load.

Variances in T2 runtime caused by the Luxeon lottery pale in comparison to the fact that there are a bunch of different X5 models out there with radically different output and runtime figures. Current X5s will do 6h+ while the older ones will run for 20h or more. 4h vs 6h--if that much variance exists--on a T2 is pretty minor in comparison.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the Splashlite LED (not the Luxeon version). The LED version actually seems brighter to me (the luxeon version uses a side emitter and is not properly focused in the reflector), and the beam is a bit nicer, albeit a tiny bit bluer. As mentioned before, runtimes are even better (8 hours+) while still putting out about 8-10 lumens or so (a guess based on the new Arc AAA). This light is very light and small- and waterproof to boot. This is the light I take night swimming.

A terrific buy for $20.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are those 16+ level variable intensity lights which waion used to sell. They're 2xCR123 (and various rechargeables) and should run a long, long time at their low levels. There's a CPF special version someone else may be able to find for you. Emilion still sells the 5W version for $65 plus shipping.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
enLIGHTenment said:
That's just the standard discharge curve for lithium primaries under a light load.

Variances in T2 runtime caused by the Luxeon lottery pale in comparison to the fact that there are a bunch of different X5 models out there with radically different output and runtime figures. Current X5s will do 6h+ while the older ones will run for 20h or more. 4h vs 6h--if that much variance exists--on a T2 is pretty minor in comparison.

oh. Well. I'll be damned.

jburgett

Newly Enlightened
At one time I thought Peak LED Solutions made their McKinley CR123 series with different numbers of LED's. Perhaps their custom department can come up with a single or triple Snow29 version for you. That ought to last a very long time, and be just as durable as the rest of their product line.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say the Inova X5 in red. It only takes 1 battery(unless they have changed it).

Blades

Latest posts