MagLED in a Black&Decker Mag clone?

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I don't currently have an actual Mag to use as a host for the LED module, but I do have a Black&Decker Mag-type light that uses a 3.6V Versapak battery.
In studying the light today it appears the retainer for the lamp is plastic or plastic-coated metal. Not sure if it could stand the heat that would be generated by the LED. I also couldn't remember how to change the lamp and couldn't get any of the joints or focus ring apart. I actually broke a cheap strap-wrench trying to separate the head from the body... ouch, literally.
Does anyone have one of these lights and has changed the lamp?
The one NiMh version (Gold) of the Versapak i have was 4.2V with no load straight off the charger. They drop pretty quickly down to 3.5V or less after some use. Do you think it would be unsafe for the 2-cell module or too dim for the 3-cell module?
This light uses a ring to focus, about the size of the front bezel on a Mag, and the head itself is stationary. Otherwise it's very similar to a Mag except much heavier aluminum thickness in the head and some of the body.
Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
use the 3 cell version for that- if you can get it apart... I think with how new these LED dropins are- you would be one of the first to try out these LEDs in anotehr PR type flashlight- so you would be the one finding out if it works or not and sharing with us!, ehhe..

The MagLED has thermal regulation- so even if your flashlight body doesn't offer very good heatsinking- it should theoretically still be safe.

Empath

Flashaholic
Rebel, I have one of those. The Mag LED won't work in it. The base of the module is too wide.

The way you get to the bulb is to remove the bezel and reflector. The white retaining ring has to twist counterclockwise about 3 or 4 degrees, which lines the tabs up with the larger section of the tab lock. Turn it upside down and your ring and bulb will fall out.

It's entirely plastic except for the spring and tab that contacts the bulb. There would be nowhere for the heat to go except into the module itself.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Ok, thanks very much for the info.
My local Big Lots also has a Coleman 2D Mag clone that isn't very expensive and seems to have more traditional construction than the Black&Decker. It might be easier to drop in or mod, but I'll probably end up getting an actual 2C Mag as a host. It's been rather frustrating around here locally as the only place in this whole city that has C models is Radio Shack for $17. The nearest Wal-Mart on the list for LED's is about 20 minutes away in a town that's one-quarter the size of my city that has two Wal-Marts. Maybe I can hold out for the actual lights to arrive equipped with the LED already.