Which light would you grab? (Hypothetical)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Thought I'd throw in a fun diversion here.

Picture this.
It's February 2003. NASA has unveiled its warp program more than 60 years ahead of schedule, and you get to fly the first manned mission to another star system.

Scientists at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory have detected some unusual events occurring in the Vega system. Your job is to fly the new warp ship to that system, take some measurements, and fly back with the data.

FYI, Vega is a hot little bluish-white star, probably a type A2 star on the Stellar Classification System. For the purposes of these scenarios, assume it has a number of planets orbiting it; and at least one may harbor a warp-capable species.

Scene 1: You climb in the much smaller than expected "pod", achieve and then break out of Earth's orbit, and it's off to the races. Once you pass the orbit of Mars, your autopilot locks onto the Vega system, and the warp drive kicks in. Within moments, you're clear of Earth's star system. NASA expects it will take you just under a week to reach the Vega system. But three days into your trip, the warp drive shuts down, taking main power and most of the cabin lighting with it. You reach behind the seat, and in the quickly-fading glow of your dome light, see a red Infinity, a white Arc-LS, and a Lambda Hydra in a pouch on your seatback. Being in interstellar space, the light levels are very low, so you can't make the repair without a flashlight. Your job is to open an access panel (equipped with a safety interlock), dump in a new jar of Folger's Dilithium Crystals to restart your warp drive, and then affix the access panel back over the port to close the safety interlock and allow power to resume. Which flashlight do you choose, and why did you choose it?

Scene 2: You've reached the Vega system, and your automatic pilot automatically drops your ship out of warp. It'll take the better part of a day to coast in the rest of the way. After about six hours, you hear a buzzing, popping kind of sound, your cabin & panel lights all extinguish, and the blast shutters on your windshield begin to extend. You have only a few seconds to choose a flashlight and replace that pesky fuse that just blew. Who knows what kind of "welcoming committee" is at this very moment sitting right off your bow. Again, which flashlight do you choose, and why?

Last scene: After almost two weeks, you return home. You found no life, but collected a ton of data on the star itself and took some nice pictures of several of its inner planets. Before contacting NASA, you feel a strong need to go sit on the john. But oh oh, the light in the potty just done gone out on you. Still in Earth orbit, you look down and see city lights over North America. That means the Sun is on the other side, and your cabin is fairly dim. But you need that potty. Again, which flashlight do you grab, and why?

BTW: This is a zero-gravity environment, and size / weight is not to be an issue in your choice.

I'll offer my choices and my reasonings behind them after I see a few of yours.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
First Light - Red Infinity because all the warning and caution panels will show up well because they're red and yellow. And, everyone knows Folger's Dilithium Crystals glow bright pink in red light..

Second Light - The white Arc-LS because I'm in the middle of an extreme emergency and need a light I can absolutely be sure will work under any conditions, and plenty of light to change a fuse by.

Third Light - My Lambda Hydra because I can work on my tan while in the crapper, and send Morris Code messages out the window for entertainment.

Did I get them all right?????

What do I win now?????

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I would grab the same torches in the same order for different reasons!
Everyone knows that red light doesn't kill night vision, and with the red Infinity would make sense. Whilst brightly illuminating the spot you're working on, the eyes can still make good use of the dim cabin lighting to find your way around.
For the second sceenario, the Arc LS torch would be ideal as it is small and compact and can be carried around by its lanyard.
The Lambda Hydra would make an ideal torch for very high brightness, but are you liable to end up carrying the thing into your spaceship's rather cramped john! It would make a very good signalling torch... it would also be interesting to test out a powerful luxeon-equipped torch such as the hydra to see if it would be visible at night from outer space or from an aeroplane window!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Oh man, the mind boggles. Uh, could I tape all three together? In a triangle shape, to sling through my arm while working, and for use as a Klingon battle axe in the event of boarders?

(sorry, I work midnights and need some sleep right now)...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

First: Arc-LS. make sure to bring enough light to do the job, just in case the infinity isn't enough, and has good color recognition, just in case.

Second: Arc-LS. color recognition, for wires and sockets that are color coded.

Third: Infinity: color recognition is not important, and you will be landing in a drak area, so it's best to preserve night vision.

Joe S.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't answer the questions until I have more information.

1. Is "Q" involved?

2. Is there a "parallel universe" conflicting with the current reality timeline?

3. Wouldn't the Devron System be a better choice than the Vega system?

4. Is there any chance of a quick stopover in Risa?

5. Am I using a flux capacator? (Opps, wrong future technology timeline!)

6. When I get back, are Ape's rulling the Earth?

7. Why can't I have an M6?

8. I really want to modify the main deflector dish to dispurse Tetrion particles, then modify ship's sensors to pick up any variations not found during normal scans.

9. Is there a rip or a hole in the space-time continum?

Can Denise Crosby be my co-pilot? (Or better yet, the "NEW" Dax, on the last season, or even 7of9? Actually, I need all three! If I can have all three, I'm not fixing the damn warp drive!

AND I WANT A HOLEDECK! Oh wait, if I have those three girls trapped in space with me, I don't need a holedeck!

(Nice piece of writing, BTY!)
grin.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Interesting set of answers so far. :)
Here is my choice of lights and my reasoning behind them:

Scene 1: Warp drive poops out in interstellar space.
I'd reach for the red Infinity. The reason is because it's already *very* dark, and I'd want to be able to see the almost invisible asteroids or other space garbage out the window before it's too late to lean on the manual thruster valve. The red Infinity wouldn't destroy my night vision *nearly* as much as the Arc-LS or the Hydra, and since I don't need color distinction to dump a jar of Folger's into a hopper and slap on a lid, it's perfectly fine for the task.

Scene 2: Fuse blows afer entering the Vega system, causing blast shutters to close.
For this task, I'd reach for the Hydra. The reasoning behind this choice is clear: Vega is a very bright, blue-white star, and I've been staring at the damned thing for hours as my ship has coasted towards the inner planets. Once those blast shutters come down, the cabin interior would become pitch black, and I don't want to spend the next 10 minutes adapting to the dark conditions. This is also an instance in which I'd want to preserve my DAY vision as much as possible, so I'm not instantly blinded when the shutters open up again after replacing the faulty component. Using the brightest flashlight of the bunch accomplishes this, and the color of its emitted light is similar to Vega so no adjustments or adaptations are needed there either.

Scene 3: In Earth orbit, burnt-out light bulb in the john
For this task, I'd pick up the Arc-LS. The Infinity is too dim and of the wrong color, and the Hydra is simply overkill. Preserving night vision is not of paramount importance here, plus I might want to read something while sitting on the can. Photographs and other graphics look crappy in red light. The Arc-LS provides just the right amount of light, and preserves color rendition so the various dials and buttons in the toilet compartment can be distinguished. If the yellow button flushes and the red button ejects the toilet into space, they would look pretty much the same with the red Infinity, introducing the chance of accidentally venting the compartment to vacuum. With the Arc's warm white light, it's immediately clear which button is which.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig! You have quite an imagination...I didn`t know that! I`m not sure about the lights...but if I`m going to be stuck in this small pod thing for a week...I sure hope you remembered to put a toilet in there...(for testing any alien lights I might come across)

Ken

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
The sci-fi scenario reminds me of a novel I myself was writing way back in around '89-90, well before LED torches were really thought of as nothing more than a strange novelty; but in it I included the "Osima Ledtorch", which is a solid state handheld light powered off 1 "AA Chemical battery", and gives off a brightly coloured beam as bright as a 60W (filament) bulb! The story is set in 2164, but the torch is very reminiscent of torches of 2001-2002 such as the Arc LS and the CMG Infinity!
Much of the ship's imnterior was lit by 5W solid state lights; maybe a future reference to Luxeons...? It is incredible to think that I was writing in 1989... LED technology has reached the potential far sooner than I thought, so what of the lighting of the future? Bigger brighter Luxeons, more solid state bulbs... the Luxeon revolution could do in the 21st century what filament electric lighting did for the 19th century and the 20th century...
We can only wait and see... and speculate using our imaginations with new scxci-fi novels and films what might happen next!
Here's another fun idea related to the previous idea... its another fun idea like Craig's.
It's the 25th Century and interstellar travel, planetary and lunar terraforming are commonplace. A radio listening post is established on Pluto, as well as some of the finest optical equipment in the Solar system to observe planetary activity around several nearby stars. The maintenance engineers of the Clyde Tombaugh Observatory are about to be kitted out with the latest spacesuits, laser drills and other tooling but require expert advice as to the choice of torch to use.
Torchaholics, it is your mission, should you accept, to specify either a 21st century torch or speculate what type of torch technology will be around in 2402, bearing in mind that the torch needs to be useable in extremely cold temperatures in a virtual vaccuum, and will emit a light that is easily filtered out by the observatory's telescopes...

Happy speculating...

EMPOWERTORCH