Mag 4D LED... got results similar to Newbie

I used a regulated power supply in lieu of batteries, so I could hold the input constant.

Since cell voltage drops to 1.2-1.3v range relatively soon after use on alkaline cells, the power was fed into the 4D Maglite through a metal rod inside the tube connected to a 5v DC power supply.

When it was first fired up, it took around 0.75A, then after 10 minutes or so, it stabilized at 0.33A.

wwglen said:
What is the voltage when the regulator dropps out?

wwglen

I didn't test for that. I tested for the lamp's thermal throttling using a 5.0v DC power supply, which provides a constant voltage.

So, even with fresh batteries, you're going to see about 60% drop in power use, solely because the lamp assembly cuts back on power due to heat.

In flood setting, yep big donut, but then, there's a big donut with incandescent xenon or krypton also.

The "ceiling bounce test" is brighter with the 4D LED than the xenon bulb, but the xenon is way better in throw. The LED might just seem brighter in ceiling bounce, because the illumination level resulting from it is very low and our eyes are more sensitive to high color temp light at very low illumination level (scotopic vision, while normal high light level vision is photopic vision).

Add: This thing is definitely actively regulated. It draws more current with 3 cells than 4 cells, meaning that it is compensating for reduced input voltage.

Last edited: