OK MAG - what kind of BS warranty is this?

KenTaylor

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up a MagLite 3 Watt LED module at Wally World. Installed it in a 2D cell Mag. Quite impressive. However, buried in the muli-lingual documentation is the following "warranty". "MAG INSTRUMENT limits its liability to replacement at Mag's discretion of any module determined defective in workmanship or material at the time of purchase."

AT TIME OF PURCHASE? So, perhaps they will cover a DOA. After that... Had this been shown on the outside of the package I probably would not have purchased the item on general principle. This is not the sort of warranty I would expect from MAG.

Ken

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the problem? It sounds as if you are creating a problem where there is not one really.They are imply saying that they are not responsible for what occurs to the product after purchase.

That does not sound much different than the same disclaimer found on almost an product. And it certainly does not mean that they will not back their product the same way they always have. This does not even mean they will not back their products up against abuse. BUT it does give them that choice should someone really abuse it say multiple times? If some person keeps turning in lights that have been killed, they can refuse them because theperson is abusing the product on purpose. I think that is rasonable personally.

You are jumping the gun a bit, do not criticize until someone actually has an issue with their warrantee.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the LED module isn't a light bulb per se, it looks pretty much like standard limited warranty text that any company would use for a light bulb. And it would seem that a standardized disclaimer against intentional abuse would be in order anyway, since, as you probably already know, some people have been known to run a light bulb or module with more voltage (i.e. more batteries) than the product is rated for.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Simply put.... if it is defective due to bad manufacturing they will replace it,
If you break it they won't. A lot of merchandise has similar warranties so they
do not have to cover customers abusing fragile products and claiming that bowling ball they tossed in the log shredder was *defective*.

steve_vance

Enlightened
KenTaylor said:
Just picked up a MagLite 3 Watt LED module at Wally World. Installed it in a 2D cell Mag. Quite impressive. However, buried in the muli-lingual documentation is the following "warranty". "MAG INSTRUMENT limits its liability to replacement at Mag's discretion of any module determined defective in workmanship or material at the time of purchase."

AT TIME OF PURCHASE? So, perhaps they will cover a DOA. After that... Had this been shown on the outside of the package I probably would not have purchased the item on general principle. This is not the sort of warranty I would expect from MAG.

Ken

It's probably ALSO there because the modules are cell-specific, i.e., 2-cell module for a 2-cell light, etc.......and they know there are people out there who would put a 2-cell module into a 3-cell light either by accident, or because they didn't bother to read the package, or "because it might make it brighter". Or, as Brighteyes suggested above, overdrive a module with tooo many batteries (I've already heard it suggested). Still, that being said, I'm sure Mag would provide good service even if you DID have a problem that was of your own making :)

KenTaylor

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the rant. There are some companies which stand behind their products and are proud to do so. For example Dillon Precision will repair/replace their reloading machines if they break from a bad casting, wear out from reloading 5 million rounds or come apart due to the impact of a .45-70 slug or some stupid operator error. And folks buy them because they are fine machines and the company backs them up Period. Even when they cost more than the competition.

Craftsman tools used to be the same situation. I have probably paid at least a 30% premium for Craftsman tools because if one broke I could take it to Sears and get it replaced.

Pelican stands behind their products with a lifetime warranty (although they don't really understand the concept of run time).

Mag Instruments has also provided a solid warranty for their flash lights. If they wish to disclaim failure in the case of abuse or use in the wrong flashlight, I would have no problem with that. If they wanted to limit the warranty to 5 years or 90 days or whatever I would have not problem with that provided it was displayed on the outside of the package so that the buyer would be aware of it before the purchase. Hiding the weasle words inside the sealed package... not my idea of a good way to do business.

Ken

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I returned my puke green Mag Led Module back to Walmart today. I told the return person that the module is supposed to put out a white color. The one I was returning was a ugly green color. She exchanged it.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked the back of one of the Mag Magnum Star bulb packages and it has the very same warranty on it. That having been said, there are a lot of products that only have the warranty information inside of the package, though they may have the warranty available in the store for you to read. However, if you are truely angered by the fact that the warranty is not printed on the package and if it isn't up to your standards, I'm sure that Wal*Mart will take the package back and give you a full refund. I wouldn't waste my time worrying about it or even waste time posting rants, just take it back for a refund.

KenTaylor said:
Hiding the weasle words inside the sealed package... not my idea of a good way to do business.

Ken

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Ken:)

Like the others said, a lot of people can make something wrong during uses, so I can't see a mistake, made by Mag.

If you don't like it, take it back.

Best regards

____
Tom