Memorial Day

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I can't really say Happy Memorial Day because it's not about happiness; it's about rememberance and gratitude. So I wish those who commemorate this day a solemn and peaceful day. And for those who have lost a family member in the service...
:candle: :bow: :candle:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few varied thoughts each Memorial day.

"Memorial Day started after the Civil War. Often called Decoration Day, it was the day when families around the nation went to graveyards and placed remembrances (in those days it was more than just flowers and ribbons, decorations of all sorts were included) upon the graves of those soldiers, North and South, who died in the Civil War."

This really began when surviving mothers and widows would go to burial sites and visit thier lost sons and husbands. A few would leave flowers on the graves of men from the opposing side. News of this spread around the country and it became a reciprocal tradition. It to me seems to have been the true beginning of the healing of the nation.

Parades and picnics followed as part of the tradition. Of course, this was to honor the fallen soldiers but I can't help but think everyone was pretty excited that the country had survived another year. Certainly something to be happy about.

My dear old dad was a pilot. He was born on Easter Sunday, April the 16th. Wilber Wright was born on April the 16th and died on a May 30th. The year following Mr. Wright's birth, General Order Number 11, designated May 30 as Memorial Day. This was to commemorate all American soldiers that fell in defense of our great country and our freedom.

I was born on a May 30th. I think my dad thought that was pretty sharp. It can be assured that growing up there was no doubt in my mind what Memorial Day was about. There was some calm and retrospective moments and thoughts. There was also a lot of excited and happy moments.

School was out. It was the beggining of summer vacation. The pools were open. The Indianapolis 500 was at hand. Tasty items from the grill were sure to be served and it was my birthday.

Today I'll have a few moments of clinched jaw, pressed lips memories of the fellows that didn't come back. The 21 gun salutes tend to bring that on. I also like to think of those first tender hearted women that tossed flowers on the graves of men they did not know. I like to think of the first Decoration Day parades with the happy-faced citizens full of eager anticipation of what the future may hold.

Mostly today I'm just happy to be an American and intend to enjoy this day as much as possible.

God bless America.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I salute all of those who have served, who are serving, and who will serve in the future!!

I may add that there are many ways to serve one's country whether it be in the military or civilian realm. I also add my respect to the families of all those mentioned above!

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
"...and who will serve in the future..." indeed.

one reason I didn't have kids.

sad to think killing and dying in wars seems to have become an accepted part of the normal operating procedure...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Icebreak said:
... A few would leave flowers on the graves of men from the opposing side. News of this spread around the country and it became a reciprocal tradition. It to me seems to have been the true beginning of the healing of the nation.

What a beautiful gesture that was, Icebreak. A recognition that we are all human regardless of our affiliation. I will try to keep this particular bit of history in mind on each Memorial Day. It does seem to embody the spirit of the occasion.

alaskawolf

Enlightened
while some of us are enjoying a break during This long weekend it is times like this that we should remember the reason for this holiday and to say Thanks to all the Vets and currently enlisted military and to not forget the sacrifices made by those who have lost their lives for our country.

Thank you and we will never forget.

http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

memorial-day-flags-in-2004-007.jpg