Variable brightness flashlights

ptirmal

Enlightened
What options are there for variable dimming lights right now in the market?

I'm interested in a new light with variable dimming to run on
1) Either cr123's and rc's
2) Alkaline AA's and NimH

I was looking at modamag's tutorial on tri lux and quad lux builds which would be perfect being that it would fit AA nimh and alkalines in a 2d host with no modifications to the body however I would want an easy dimming capability with it...

Is there any part used with say a Pot that can be added in the lux mag hosts? Any other lights? I already have a few cr123 leds so I'd prefer a Alkaline/ Nimh AA setup... thanks in advance

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
He makes them with a variable knob. I have a tri-lux (minetrois) that he built with the dimming pot and it is AWESOME!

Jeff

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Offhand, I can think of two ways to have variable brightness. The simplest, and easiest for me to use, is the resistored switch. I like it because the functions can be accessed very quickly. It can be in the form of a twist or built into a switch. The second is electronic controls. It the simplest form, the electronics will have to be accessed. One of the easiest electronic variable brightness is the Mr. Bulk LionHeart or a light with click on then rotate a dial to adjust brightness. Most of the electronic brightness controls requires an understanding of the sequence of the programming.

I'm biased with lights. The one below, in the foreground, has a two-brightness tail cap.

barealumlights6nb.jpg

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maxlite AA is a home-grown, CPF project. It was made to see how much performance could be pulled out an AA battery. It also has two-brightness. The one in the foreground is the finished light. It was conceived by a CPF member, ARC mania. I simply did a little influence and massaging in the design of the light. Then I figured out the options to get the ToTheMax (TTM kit), a Surefire Turbo Head with Tower Module and a Lux I SuperSbin emitter, to work with Maxlite.

We made sure the light would fit Surefire and Aleph parts so a lot of parts interchanging are possible.

One was sold yesterday at the B/S/T section. It was quickly bought up.

I'm rather proud of the light.

legomaxlite7eg.jpg

sfth7wd.jpg

maxmaxttmup4pr.jpg
maxandttm0rr.jpg

Last edited:

W4DIZ

Enlightened
Thanks Trueblue.
Awsome!,now that is cool.
I have always wondered what those were.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really gets fun when you start playing with 'Lego-lights.' Your mind really starts to work when you start imagining and making it real.

I know you will have fun making your own lights. You'll get hooked.

greenLED

Flashaholic
SureFire makes:
U2, L2, L1, Kroma, A2 - all have at least 2 stages (U2 has six, the A2 has LED/incan as surrogate for high/low).

Wits'End sells a multi-brightness light as well - he has a thread somewhere on CPF.

Then, there are the mods...

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS EDCs are great. There is a sale on the B42 models now so you can get a B42 XRGT for $99 and that is a great deal!

The U2 is also great if you want a larger light!