Looking for cheapest, dual-level, single CR123 flashlight.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Preferably using a very efficient LED and under $60. I hope there isn't a hole in this area of the market.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, at this price range, the production market hasn't been too accomodating :(. Your best bet is probably a modded light. You could find a QIII host modded with a 2 stage switch for around $45. Otherwise, if you could use a AA battery instead, there is the Fenix L1T (although "low" is still rather bright on that one). There is a decent (and cheap) 2 stage mod for the L1P as well.

These "holes" in the market do tend to fill themselves in rather quickly these days with all of the mid-range Chinese manufacturers coming out with decent and innovative new products all of the time. Ultimately, I'd say if you can't fork over the cash to reach a higher quality echelon (HDS, McLux, etc), it would be in your best interest to simply wait a while.

LouRoy

Enlightened
You could get a Fenix L2P for $39, a Nekomane CR123 tube for $19, and a resistor for $1. Nice regulated runtime on high of 3.5+ hours, a low setting that will last many, many hours, and a good beam. You do have to do the resistor mod yourself, but it appears to be easy. Total cost is $59.

If you can go higher, the HDS Basic42 is now on sale for $90. It has 4 levels and is a fantastic light, especially for that price. It may just be the best deal around at this time.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree about the HDS- very, very tempting, especially considering the XR and GT versions are only $5 more per upgrade.

As for the L2P- it works nicely with a CR123 or CR2 body but I wouldn't try the resistor in it. Apparently, since the circuit in the L2P is designed for very aggressive regulation, the 2 stage trick doesn't work like in the L1P. The light will try to suck the full voltage throught the resistor and won't be able to, resulting in a lot of energy being lost to heat and having much lower efficiency. YMMV of course.

LouRoy

Enlightened
Solstice said:
As for the L2P- it works nicely with a CR123 or CR2 body but I wouldn't try the resistor in it. Apparently, since the circuit in the L2P is designed for very aggressive regulation, the 2 stage trick doesn't work like in the L1P. The light will try to suck the full voltage throught the resistor and won't be able to, resulting in a lot of energy being lost to heat and having much lower efficiency. YMMV of course.

Thanks for the advice--I did not know you could not put a resistor in the L2P.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Thanks guys. Those are some quality inputs!

I would expect the Fenix to come up with a competitor in this arena. I think demand for such a light would be very strong as long as prices are kept low.

At the moment, I'm very interested in the modded Nuwai Q3 and that 6W LED light.

By the way, will the Fenix L1P head + CR123 body + Fenix-Store's two-stage switch be a feasible solution? Can the L1P head take the voltage of a CR123?

Hans

Enlightened
Solstice said:
I agree about the HDS- very, very tempting, especially considering the XR and GT versions are only $5 more per upgrade.

Seconded. The Basic 42 on special sale at the moment is a bargain. I know the original poster specified a price below $ 60, but you'll never get a HDS at such prices again.

Hans

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1P head with a cr123 is not reliable imo. It gets too hot.

Like the other fellows said, take the HDS:)

Best regards

______
Tom

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Hee hee... You guys are going to kill me but I'm superstitous and 42 isn't a good number in my book! If a U39 XRGT existed at that price then I'd jump for it! :ohgeez: Alternatively, I might actually be prepared to wait until the U60 XRGT drops below $150.

I'm really just looking for a little light to use at my bed-side that's brighter than my splash-lite and has a rather dim low-level operation. At the same time, I'm hoping the light will be efficient enough to run off batteries that come off my Gladius exhausted.

I'm still looking at the Nuwai with 2-stage switch, 6-watt light from China and perhaps a second or third splash-lite LED. Thanks for the help guys!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
42 is the answer to the Ultimate Question in the Universe in a series of humorous science fiction books written by Douglas Adams (Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy). It turns out that the Ultimate Question which precedes it is "what is 6 times 9". The point of the book is that the Universe is beyond comprehension.

Some enthusiasts later noted that 6 x 9 does = 42 if you do the math in base 13, and that that is the ultimate insight.