Lambda...the pill can't take liths, can the Illuminator?

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Lambda...the pill can\'t take liths, can the Illuminator?

or will it fry sumthin?

sflate

Enlightened
Re: Lambda...the pill can\'t take liths, can the Illuminator?

I have the same question, since I'd like to keep it in my car. Are you saying this is a definite no-no or will it just shorten the life a bit? How risky is it? Will it get too hot to touch? Can the circuit be mounted in the maglite like in the illuminator for better heat sinking?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geoff in Philly:
or will it fry sumthin?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Pill would probably take Lith, but I would not recommend it under all conditions for the pill. Your welcome to try it and report back on your success of failure.......

The Illuminators I've sold to the Army have been used with lith; they report it gets real hot if left to run continuously, but no failures to date.

sflate

Enlightened

Is the 'pill' circuit the same as in LI? Is so, can it be mounted in the minimag like in the LI? (Can you tell I really want to put Lithiums in it!!) With the winters here in Cleveland, I guess I can use it as a handwarmer if nothing else!

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sflate:
I have the same question, since I'd like to keep it in my car. Are you saying this is a definite no-no or will it just shorten the life a bit? How risky is it? Will it get too hot to touch? Can the circuit be mounted in the maglite like in the illuminator for better heat sinking?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Pill can not be adapted as the Luxeon is mounted on it. The Illuminator kit can be used in the MiniMag or Brinkmann. Same converter as the pill, the Illuminator just uses two wires to bring the power up thru the heatsink to the Luxeon. The big difference is the Illuminator has a real heatsink, where the pill is using the top converter circuit card as the heatsink. And the illuminator, since it is fixed in postion, requires the use of a tailcap switch, where the Pill floats up/down for the MiniMag twist on/off function.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I threw two Energizer AA liths in my LI in an attempt to do a run-time test. After not quite an hour (I mindlessly just left the light turned on and went away), I could not hold the LI, at least not for very long. It was that hot, so I shut it down for fear of frying or melting something.

Initial light meter reading showed an increase of approximately 30 lux at one meter though, so if you want max brightness lithiums are probably fine for intermittent use. Of course I'm talking about the LI, not the MP...

sflate

Enlightened

Sounds like that has been solved. I will just have to get both - The Pill for EDC and the Illuminator kit for the car
grin.gif
grin.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The reason the pill cant take liths is because of the extra heat from the extra current. I have heard and seen that people have run liths in the LI without any problem and quite a bit brighter too. I have run approx 1/2 of a set through mine without any problem.