Anyone else jones'n for some King crab after watching Deadliest Catch???

Donovan

Enlightened
Anyone else jones'n for some King crab after watching Deadliest catch show? I have been watching a lot of these shows lately trying to catch up on my tivo list. Man, I have a serious craving for some crab!!!!

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Donovan said:
Anyone else jones'n for some King crab after watching Deadliest catch show? I have been watching a lot of these shows lately trying to catch up on my tivo list. Man, I have a serious craving for some crab!!!!

Roger that buddy!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
after watching that show i figure i can not afford it so i dont even try .i rather find a rib eye on sale at grocery store yummy stuff

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Got some in the freezer right now and since you reminded me...it'll be "gone" tomorrow! :thanks:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I get my butt to the ocean this year, it's gonna be crab time for sure! Phillips buffet and soft shell sandwiches!!

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still love Alaskan King Crab legs. Appreciate it a lot more now.

When I was in my 20's I wanted to go out on one of those boats as I heard the money was good. It was not a King Crab boat though it sounded adventurous and exciting. I'm sure glad I didn't go. You can keep the bravado. There are a lot easier was to earn a good living.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I have always loved King and Opilio (Snow) crab and could never figure out why it costs so much UNTIL I started watching Deadliest Catch.

I am suprised that crab is as cheap as it is!

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I worked on the boats up in Alaska. You learn why guys favor salmon as they can see the shore and are in calmer waters, but you still can't make it to shore even if you see it.

The adventure and money was unbeatable 25+ years ago. Guys were pulling in 6 figures back then and you lived on the boat usually at least 6 months of the year so you didn't just blow the money. I knew a 22 year old who had started as a gauge watcher essentially and became the chief engineer on a crab boat and he was making 200K a year. That was a lot of money back then. Even though the responsibility was great, so was his job.

However the best thing was the beauty and the 'real' life. With Halibut or Salmon some days we'd work 24 hours straight when the catch was good. You had the otters and the abundant wildlife along your boat much of the time. Sport fishing just doesn't compare to this IMO. There's plenty of sport gaffing a 200-400 pound halibut to haul it on board.

But the Bearing Sea, that's another story. It's brutal and yet still there are many of the elements. You have the team work of a crew. You get paid in crew shares like a real man so that what you earn is based on how hard you chip in with the crew. I always meant to go back with my own boat; I never did. I guess I'm not dead yet. That's how I got my first slot though. The guy the season before didn't make it. We all wore our buck knives somehow thinking (I guess) we could cut ourselves free from lines or nets if we got tangled in the gear and pulled over, but in reality by the time a boat came around you would be dead and if you've ever tried fumbling with a buck knife with frozen fingers, you'd know how hard this would be to do when underwater being pulled down in a panic by an anchor or crab pot.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep waiting for one of those guys to get a rope wrapped around his foot or something as the pot is going down. Holy Mother of Pearl that would be bad way to take a ride to the bottom of the Bearing.

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
I like going out on boats, but man I think I got sea sick just watching that show. I don't think you could pay me enough to do that job...kudos to the ones that do it.

gorn

Enlightened
My son is stationed in Anchorage. He called just to tell me a local Chinese buffet has all you can eat king crab legs. He is so lucky that I would have to travel 4000 miles to open a can of woop-*** on him.

I guess i'll be running to Sam's Club tomorrow to get some.....